Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Thanks PVP and tandfman for clearing up a really confusing record labyrinth!

2. Collapse Details

On the subject of male vaulters who used to be gymnasts, there are a pair of brothers local to me with bests of 5.40 and 4.90 (they're currently about 25 and 21). Both of them did gymnastics from about 7 to 16 years old along with track and field from about 11 onwards.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    Videos...
    Wow - she's a throw-back to the Bubka single-trail-leg sweep - as opposed to the tuck-and-shoot that everyone seems to be doing now. GREAT form. I see stardom ahead!!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
    Others with more experience and expertise with this event and gymnastics will have more to say -- and I don't follow gymnastics -- but I am aware from parents whose kids are in gymnastics in my region that youth gymnastics around here is a girls sport. There may be some boys, but it's mostly/entirely girls, which means that there is some basic skill development amongst girls that can transfer to PV.
    Id think that a good gymnast who got a bit tall or usually came in just out of the medals would be an excellent person to talk to about becoming a vaulter.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Id think that a good gymnast who got a bit tall or usually came in just out of the medals would be an excellent person to talk to about becoming a vaulter.
    I used to scare the bejesus out of kids when I'd go into the Middle School (we're grades 6-12) cafeteria and pull aside some 'talented' kid and tell him/her that she was to report to the track team practice on Day 1, because they were going to be PVer (adding hurdles and other jumps came as a surprise the 2nd week). Worked out great in most cases.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    On the subject of male vaulters who used to be gymnasts
    One male vaulter who was a gymnast (silver medal AUS Champs aged 13) before he found athletics was Paul Burgess. Former 6.00m vaulter, 3xOlympian and current coach of Sasha Zhoya & Liz Parnova (among others).

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Here are is an article about Chloe, to give more background on her...

https://www.milesplit.com/articles/2...le-vault-world

8. Collapse Details

Here are is an article about Chloe, to give more background on her.
    Written over a month ago, it bears excerpting:

Now that Cunliffe has cleared 14 feet, she has her sights set on new marks. Her long-term goal for indoors is to reach 14-6.

And for outdoors, that bar is raised considerably. Long-term, Cunliffe said she wants to clear "at least 15 feet."

All of this has led her to skyrocket north in the pole vaulting world, resulting in an athletic scholarship to Washington State University. While Arkansas University was certainly in the running, WSU coach Brad Walker, a nine-time USA pole vault champion, and being close to home weighed heavily for Cunliffe.
    15-0 was pie in the sky, now it's seems like an intermediate goal. Training with a 6m+ vaulter like Walker . . . mm-mm-mmmm.

9. Collapse Details

Looks like she had at least a few inches to spare on the 4.50 clearance.

10. Collapse Details

Thank you GH.