Facts, Not Fiction

Page 24 of 52 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I have done wind a few times and I have asked officials and coaches to guess the wind.

I have yet to meet anyone that was close and/or consistent (without any type of aid such as a lanyard..... or a Flag).

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Could you elaborate? This one went completely by me.
    Craig Pickering was a young promising white British sprinter who at the same age as Boling ran a 10.22 but ended up not improving much (PR 10.14) after all this publicity - even MJ was eyeing him. He then bulked-up thinking (or his coaches) more muscle would help him but from what I remember it only made his running style worse.

3. Collapse Details

What is the University of Georgia's coaching like for the sprints? Will Matthew have a good coaching crew around him?

4. Collapse Details

UGH!!! Just saw a headline saying Boling was "Just 0.4 Seconds Slower Than Usain Bolt."

Please kill me.

Mr. Boling, you're fine athlete and I'm sorry people are putting such ridiculous expectations upon you. I look forward to watching you perform at the state meet, and I think it's unfortunate that if you run a 10.10 with zero wind the wider public will fail to understand that it's actually a superior performance to that 9.98w.
    "Run fast and keep turning left."

5. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by trackstar View Post
    UGH!!! Just saw a headline saying Boling was "Just 0.4 Seconds Slower Than Usain Bolt."

Please kill me.

Mr. Boling, you're fine athlete and I'm sorry people are putting such ridiculous expectations upon you. I look forward to watching you perform at the state meet, and I think it's unfortunate that if you run a 10.10 with zero wind the wider public will fail to understand that it's actually a superior performance to that 9.98w.
    trackstar nails it !!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    unless you're a sailor or a professional wind-guage operator, my guess is that the average person doesn't have the remotest clue as to what the wind is doing.
    Or a professional golfer

7. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Or a professional golfer

Any golfer for that matter...or a canoeist...

8. Collapse Details

I think a professional golfer might have a bit better knowledge of how various winds affect the ball than "any golfer"

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    unless you're a sailor or a professional wind-guage operator, my guess is that the average person doesn't have the remotest clue as to what the wind is doing.
    Or a professional golfer
    my use of "doing" meant being able to divine with any accuracy what the wind speed is. Particularly because the major effect of the wind is high enough up in the sky that there's no way to measure it.

10. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    I think a professional golfer might have a bit better knowledge of how various winds affect the ball than "any golfer"
    Definitely true...but duffers still care about the wind....whether they use that knowledge effectively is something else ..