Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

"Rich parents keep behaving badly to get their children into college"

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ri...of2&yptr=yahoo

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TN1965 View Post
    "Rich parents keep behaving badly to get their children into college"
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ri...of2&yptr=yahoo
    Not to start another "kids today . . . !" brouhaha, but this line bears mentioning.

But affluent parents from Potomac, Md. to The Woodlands, Texas, are bending the rules big time by getting disability status for their kids to give them a longer time to take tests;
    This has become pandemic. 40% of my (AP!) students have 'accomodations', all which include 50% longer to take tests. Maybe . . . 5% actually need it because of individual brain processing differences (not that the real-world has such a distinction).

My way around it is to say that I prepared the test to be 40 minutes, and EVERYONE gets an hour. Some 'accommodated' students finish early and some NOT-accommodated ones take the full hour. So yes rich parents hire shrinks to give their kid a pass. We call them 'bull-dozer parents', because they try to remove any impediments in their children's path, not realizing that true growth happens best in the face of challenge and adversity.

Just one of the joys of navigating the tricky sea-lanes of modern institutional pedagogy.

3. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    while im somewhat happy to see these parents get what they deserve, there is an ironic injustice in all of this, namely that the big fish, the actual orchestrator and ring leader of the entire corrupt and criminal enterprise was offered a deal right from the beginning. And the deal apparently was simply to rat out all these smaller fish parents. Sure the parents are wealthy but in terms of the crimes they are low level players.

4. Collapse Details

It's not just college. I was recently reminded of this old story. In a nutshell:

Securities analyst, who works for a subsidiary of Citigroup, upgrades his rating of AT&T stock. Citigroup's Chairman of the Board, who is also on the Board of AT&T, recommends that the analyst's twins be admitted to a certain nursery school. They are admitted. Citigroup then donates $1 million to the not-for-profit organization that runs the nursery school.

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/14/b...ork-story.html

5. Collapse Details

If you read to the end, you will find why it is relevant to this thread.

"Meritocracy Is Killing High-School Sports"

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...sports/597121/

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    w0w

7. Collapse Details

Football may be withering nationwide but three OKC metro HS that have been sharing other HS or municipal stadiums opened new home campus dedicated stadiums this first week of season

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Football may be withering nationwide but three OKC metro HS that have been sharing other HS or municipal stadiums opened new home campus dedicated stadiums this first week of season
    Ha! You're in the Middle of Conservative Country. The Texas/Okla area will be the last bastion of tackle football!

9. Collapse Details

"hijacked to serve the primary goal of so many high-income parents, which is to replicate their advantages in their children’s generation."

The horror! How evil of parents. It's too late for my oldest, but I've decided to hobble my younger child; withholding love and resources, so some other kid can have a chance. One success per family is enough!!!!
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

10. Collapse Details

"Felicity Huffman sentenced to 14 days in prison in college admissions scandal"

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...195146827.html