Facts, Not Fiction

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

2. Collapse Details

The results of pure mathematics rarely seem to make much rational importance at the time. But many times they can become important over time. In the 1800s Bernhard Riemann developed a theory of geometry, now called Riemannian geometry, that seemed rather esoteric with little practical application. But Einstein used Riemannian geometry to develop the general theory of relativity (the gravitational theory). What use is that, you ask? Do you like the GPS on your cell phone? Without the general theory of relativity, and by extension, Riemannian geometry, that GPS would be grossly inaccurate, off sometimes by as much as a kilometre.

The Riemann hypothesis is another example. This hypothesis, by the same duded, is the most famous and important unsolved hypothesis in mathematics. Many, many mathematical theorems start with "Assume the Riemann hypothesis is true ..." (because it is widely believe to be true - not 100% though). What use is the Riemann hypothesis? it deals with prime numbers and could have relevance in the factorization of very large numbers. What use is that, you ask? Ever use your credit card to buy something on the internet? It is encrypted, so thieves can't steal your card # (theoretically), and that encryption is based on the factorization of large numbers.

So, many of these seemingly esoteric mathematical results oft-times to end up having practical applications.

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Yeah, I know that every time my cell phone rings I say, "Thank goodnes for Riemann"!

4. Collapse Details

I am just glad someone understands these things and am thankful for the benefits.

5. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Yeah, I know that every time my cell phone rings I say, "Thank goodnes for Riemann"!
    Exactly....

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    The Riemann hypothesis is another example. This hypothesis, by the same duded, is the most famous and important unsolved hypothesis in mathematics. Many, many mathematical theorems start with "Assume the Riemann hypothesis is true ..." (because it is widely believe to be true - not 100% though). What use is the Riemann hypothesis? it deals with prime numbers and could have relevance in the factorization of very large numbers. What use is that, you ask? Ever use your credit card to buy something on the internet? It is encrypted, so thieves can't steal your card # (theoretically), and that encryption is based on the factorization of large numbers.
    More specifically, the inability (of today's computers) to factorize the large numbers used for encryption.

7. Collapse Details

Atticus,
    Your PM box is full. My computer hacked, lost all email address. Please send me an email.
    lonewolf49@cox.net.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Atticus,
    Your PM box is full. My computer hacked, lost all email address. Please send me an email.
    lonewolf49@cox.net.
    Emptied. Email sent. Delete address here.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Britain has some fine universities....but other than Cambridge or Oxford where a few rowers get some help and not much since post graduate students can also row, being an athlete means nothing.
    Belated reply!

I suspect the kind of rowing credentials Cambridge and Oxford are looking for are somewhat above the kind that can be faked online. Probably of the manner of being a member of the British Junior squad rather than "rows for their school". An interest in a particular sport may influence what British university someone may apply to, but an aptitude for a sport will have almost no influence on someone actually getting a place.
    Last edited by Trickstat; 03-17-2019 at 04:57 PM.

10. Collapse Details

Hallmark Channel has stated that their show When Calls the Heart---starring Lori Loughlin--will continue , but after a hiatus to "retool" the show minus Loughlin!!
    They didn't give any date for the next episode, but tonight's new episode was cancelled!!

I wonder if they'll allow reruns to be shown that include Loughlin!
    Last edited by aaronk; 03-18-2019 at 12:50 PM.