Facts, Not Fiction

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    some track connections in this piece

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/22/s...al-heinel.html
    That sounds about right. The Senior Women's Administrator puts the vice grips on all the coaches, while lying and cheating and stealing money. Can't tell you how many similar stories (minus the money) I've heard from coaches.

2. Collapse Details

Everybody is innocent:
    "They include former Georgetown tennis coach Gordon Ernst, former UCLA men’s soccer coach Jorge Salcedo and Wake Forest women’s volleyball coach Bill Ferguson.

An attorney for Ferguson told reporters his client is innocent and “does not belong in this indictment.”

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/03/...-gordon-ernst/

"My client is innocent, no court will convince me otherwise." Abe Greenburg, The Hot Rock

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Adam$ View Post
    "My client is innocent, no court will convince me otherwise."
    That's an awesome quote and so indicative of our times.
    Damn the facts and damn the courts. It's all Fake News!

4. Collapse Details

Although there are legal technicalities involved, this story outlines some of the reasons why a defendant might plead Not Guilty.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...323-story.html

Most of those named in the lawsuit, including all of the nearly three dozen mothers and fathers, have been charged with a count of conspiracy to commit mail or wire fraud. To prove it, the government must answer a basic question: Who, exactly, was defrauded — and of what property — when parents allegedly paid William “Rick” Singer to finagle their children into universities with doctored exams and fake athletic credentials?

The answer is not as clear cut as it may seem. Judges have long wrestled to come up with a clear understanding of what is — and isn’t — property in the eyes of the law.
    That said, from what I have seen, once the Fed have their hooks in you, a plea deal is usually the best you can hope for.

5. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    When it comes to legal commentary...this is my go to guy...

https://mobile.twitter.com/Popehat

6. Collapse Details

My wife played tennis at Georgetown as a walk-on for a previous coach, and she contributes to the team. She is shaking her head.

7. Collapse Details

Meanwhile....

When parents are so desperate to get their kids into college that they sabotage other students

The message was stern, no-nonsense, with the sort of tone that an adult might use to rein in a group of misbehaving teenagers. But the message wasn’t directed at teenagers.

“Dear parents of the class of 2019,” began the December email from Patrick Gallagher, director of college counseling at Sidwell Friends School, one of the country’s most prestigious private schools, with campuses in the District and Bethesda, Md. The note that followed, which was obtained by The Washington Post, was restrained and discreet — no names were named, no specific incidents disclosed — but certain transgressions could be inferred from a bulleted list of new policies that would go into effect “immediately.” Among them:

“The College Counseling Office will not answer phone calls from blocked numbers.”

“The College Counseling Office will not open any mail without a recognizable return address.”

“If a parent ever feels the need to inform me or my colleagues regarding the actions of a child that is not their own — I will ask you to leave my office or end the phone conversation.”

The message seemed to confirm the vague rumors that had circulated for weeks — murmurs about parents behaving badly, even going so far as to disparage other students, presumably to give their own teens a leg up in the high-stakes college admissions competition.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...nl_most&wpmm=1
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 04-04-2019 at 04:54 PM.

8. Collapse Details

Oh dear....

He bought the fencing coach’s house. Then his son got into Harvard

By Joshua Miller Globe Staff
    NEEDHAM — It was a modest house by this town’s standards, a center-entrance colonial, three bedrooms and a two-car garage on a quarter-acre lot. The inside hadn’t welcomed a renovator in many, many years, and the outside didn’t wear its age particularly well.

Its owner: Peter Brand, Harvard University’s legendary fencing coach. Its assessed value: $549,300.

So when the house sold to a wealthy Maryland businessman for close to a million dollars in May 2016, the town’s top assessor was so dumbfounded that he wrote the following in his notes: “Makes no sense.”

Now it might.

The buyer, it turns out, was the father of a high school junior who was actively looking at applying to Harvard with an eye toward being on the fencing team.

Soon enough, Jie Zhao’s younger son would gain admission and join the team. And Zhao, who never lived a day in the Needham house, would sell it 17 months after he bought it for a $324,500 loss.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...1GK/story.html

9. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Friends, dont let your moral compass betray you, because the moral of the story for the rich and richer is a very simple one : "dont sell the asset so quickly."

10. Collapse Details

Meanwhile....more charges today....

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ma/pr/1...nd-jury-boston