Facts, Not Fiction

Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LuckySpikes View Post
    Oh my word! 17yo Max Burgin has just run 1:45.36 at the England U20 Championships for a British U20 record and improving his PB from 1:46.78. His splits were 52.0/53.4. [deleted faux pas]
    I was wondering whose record he broke and found the following:

His birthdate is 20 May 2002, so he is 17 all year meeting the IAAF U-18 criteria.

Burgin had already run 1:47.36 as a 16 year old in the Euro U-18 champs last year.

He improved his PB to 1:46.80 two weeks ago, which was a UK under-18 best and a UK age-17 best, improving on Steve Ovett’s 1:47.34 from 1973.

His 1:45.36, would further smash those age records as well as trimming the 33-year-old UK U-20 record of David Sharpe at 1:45.64. Sharpe ended with a career PB of 1:43.98 set in Zürich on 19 August 1992 at the age of 25.

So, he's 2 seconds better than Ovett at the same age and will be U-20 until the end of 2021. I foresee more UK junior records in his future...

However, he's still got a way to go to beat the official U-20 UK allcomers record of 1:41.73 set by Nijel Amos at the London OG. This is also the WJR.
    Last edited by El Toro; 06-27-2019 at 08:57 AM.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    In Discus mecca, Malmo, Stahl today: 229-3 (69.89).

Do they still have rings for any wind, so Bruch, I mean, Stahl, can throw far?
    No, this was at Malmö Stadium. Not the open field Bruch used to throw in nice wind.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro View Post
    I was wondering whose record he broke and found the following:

His birthdate is 20 May 2002, so he is 17 all year meeting the IAAF U-18 criteria.

Burgin had already run 1:47.36 as a 16 year old in the Euro U-18 champs last year.

He improved his PB to 1:46.80 two weeks ago, which was a UK under-18 best and a UK age-17 best, improving on Steve Ovett’s 1:47.34 from 1973.

His 1:45.36, would further smash those age records as well as trimming the 33-year-old UK U-20 record of David Sharpe at 1:45.64. Sharpe ended with a career PB of 1:43.98 set in Zürich on 19 August 1992 at the age of 25.

So, he's 2 seconds better than Ovett at the same age and will be U-20 until the end of 2021. I foresee more UK junior records in his future...

However, he's still got a way to go to beat the official U-20 UK allcomers record of 1:41.73 set by Nijel Amos at the London OG. This is also the WJR.
    So that puts him at #7 All-time on the U18 list. Interesting that IAAF's list minimum is 1:46.00 - there is only 8 guys on it (2 at altitude).

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by proofs in the pudd'in View Post
    So that puts him at #7 All-time on the U18 list. Interesting that IAAF's list minimum is 1:46.00 - there is only 8 guys on it (2 at altitude).
    It puts him at #1 on the reliable age list because, unfortunately, we don't know how accurate the ages of the others are due to weaknesses in the birth records of the countries involved.

They could be anywhere between being all wrong and all right, which is sad for those on the list and any incorrectly pushed off it.

Here is an assessment of the state of Kenyan birth records with a rather charming preface - http://kenyalaw.org/kl/index.php?id=1897

To assist with comprehension:
    Matatu = mini bus taxi
    Manamba - A tout who attempts to attract customers to a matatu

5. Collapse Details

Here is an assessment of the state of Kenyan birth records with a rather charming preface - http://kenyalaw.org/kl/index.php?id=1897
    Oh, my!

6. Collapse Details

a rather charming preface
    Extended Metaphor of the Year!!

7. Collapse Details

It puts him at #1 on the reliable age list because, unfortunately, we don't know how accurate the ages of the others are due to weaknesses in the birth records of the countries involved.

They could be anywhere between being all wrong and all right, which is sad for those on the list and any incorrectly pushed off it.

To assist with comprehension:
    Matatu = mini bus taxi
    Manamba - A tout who attempts to attract customers to a matatu
    Kenyan Road Rage perhaps!

8. Collapse Details

It's only practice, buty it's nice to see Ms. Reese rounding into form.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1144327017841795072

9. Collapse Details

Just a thought here: Why are they holding this meet at Stanford and not at Oregon State?

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    lack of a suitable facility