Facts, Not Fiction

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    Was it Cory McGee at the trials 2013? She was 3rd at the 1500m in Des Moines but didn't have the standard, got to chase it and made it in Heusden? But they celebrated her at the trials as if she had already qualified. Is this correct?
    WC Trials are a different animal than the topic at hand, the OT

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    The IOC mandated that, or the USOC? I think it might have been the latter.

yes, USOC

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    So forgive me if this has been covered somewhere (probably has), but with this new system, when does the Q window close - AND assuming the USA won't have three Qs in every event, won't the composition of the team remain undetermined till the window does close? USATF will always want 3 to go in every event they can, even if the Q happens after the OT?
    The OT's last day is June 28; IAAF window to make Q-marks is June 29.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    So forgive me if this has been covered somewhere (probably has), but with this new system, when does the Q window close - AND assuming the USA won't have three Qs in every event, won't the composition of the team remain undetermined till the window does close? USATF will always want 3 to go in every event they can, even if the Q happens after the OT?
    Without a Q you will have to wait until the IAAF starts inviting athletes via the rankings, so yes it will remain undetermined.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Unless the USOC (it is their team after all) gets pissy and wants to stick with the "team chosen as each event ends" protocol and no longer cares about sending as many as possible.

6. Collapse Details

I would love that, biggest athletics nation on the planet completely ignoring Coe's rankings crap and only going by the old system.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    That answers my other point too - thanks.

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Unless the USOC (it is their team after all) gets pissy and wants to stick with the "team chosen as each event ends" protocol and no longer cares about sending as many as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    I would love that, biggest athletics nation on the planet completely ignoring Coe's rankings crap and only going by the old system.
    Just to clarify, that was said somewhat tongue in cheek, given that extensions were given for IAAF-list qualifiers for Rio.

I just never underestimate the capacity bureaucracies have for cocking this up.

9. Collapse Details

I have to admit that i don't understand what the big deal is with the top 3 selection. It didn't work for Rio 2016 either. In the mHT none of the Americans had the standard and had to wait for an invite by the IAAF. In the mJT Hostetler was the only American in Rio. You can only select the top 3 if they have the standard, same as in 2016, only the standard got a lot harder.

10. Collapse Details

Reading the press release in the first post on this thread, it could be interpreted that the rankings end date would also be the same date. Anyone able to read further and/or get a different interpretation?