Facts, Not Fiction

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I'm calling BS on that as a general 'fact'. "Regional Champ", regardless of sport, means something to athletes, fans, alumni, coaches, AD and especially the SID, who can ride that pony for a while.
    You don't know what you're talking about, lest you think I imagined what I saw and heard with my own eyes and ears. As I said earlier, I know it for a FACT.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    I would quibble with the assertion that nobody cared about being a regional champion. Athletes from programs outside the traditional superpower group were quite happy to have that opportunity.
    You're probably right about that, but the team that I was referring to was a member of the "traditional superpower group", they were the reigning indoor and outdoor NCAA Champions, and they didn't give a damn.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    You don't know what you're talking about, lest you think I imagined what I saw and heard with my own eyes and ears. As I said earlier, I know it for a FACT.
    I have no doubt you heard that particular thing. I said 'in general'. It's just basic human nature to take 'titles' as significant.

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    I would quibble with the assertion that nobody cared about being a regional champion. Athletes from programs outside the traditional superpower group were quite happy to have that opportunity.
    just to clarify, my original statement about nobody caring, just like the comment about hours and hours of meaningless competition, was from the fan point of view. You know, that incredibly important part of the sport's fabric that nobody gives a shit about.

had nothing to do with the athletes.

5. Collapse Details

Is Dotun Ogundeji a redshirt, or is he eligible to compete for UCLA??
    The UCLA roster lists him as a redshirt senior!
    But the MJ/JJK shot put results list him just as UCLA!!
    He threw the ball 69-0.50 there!
    Thanks!

6. Collapse Details

Isaiah Moore 13.25 +2.1 in the 110mH

Quincy Hall 44.53 in the 400m

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronk View Post
    Is Dotun Ogundeji a redshirt, or is he eligible to compete for UCLA??
    The UCLA roster lists him as a redshirt senior!
    But the MJ/JJK shot put results list him just as UCLA!!
    He threw the ball 69-0.50 there!
    Thanks!
    typically, the term "redshirt [class]" means that the athlete has been in school one year longer than the class would indicate, but redshirted somewhere along the line and thus still has eligibility.

if the athlete is actually redshirting, I don't believe NCAA rules would permit their being listed on the roster in any form.

8. Collapse Details

JuVaughn Harrison 8.17 (1.3)

9. Collapse Details

It's my recollection that even outside the traditional superpower group, the press releases from the schools of the winners of the regional meets made a big deal of the fact that the athlete(s) had qualified for the Nationals, and did not call these athletes Regional Champions. This was particularly true in the later years of the Regionals.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    press releases from the schools of the winners of the regional meets made a big deal of the fact that the athlete(s) had qualified for the Nationals, and did not call these athletes Regional Champions. This was particularly true in the later years of the Regionals.
    That's just poor SID work. If my athlete/school is the Regional champ, I ride that story all the way into NCAA Championships. Getting into March Madness's Final Four is concomitant with being Region Champion, and those (RC) banners are indeed on proud display in many gyms.