Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Hacked

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    I now have malware/virus guard re- installed...I thought I did before but it somehow disappeared during cleansing sometime in past two years..
    Curiously, I did have virus attacks while on links within T&F news a couple of years ago.
    Yes, some malware will disable protective software so you can't use it to find and destroy the infection.

If you are using Windows defender, this is OK but Antimalwarebytes and other products have better upfront protection and also have additional controls that will prevent most crypto locking malware from running even if it gets past the first line of defence.

My puter guy thinks IE is more susceptible to virus/hacking than Firefox or Chrome and I have been using it but I was on Firefox when hacked.
    No browser is secure but some extensions can reduce the risk. Most malware nowadays seems to come from ads inserted on websites by third parties, so even a trusted website like TNF can have malware injected onto the site through ads they don't control.

An ad blocker can reduce this risk by not allowing the adds to load in the first place. If there are sites you want to support by allowing ads, you can add them to a whitelist easily.

Ad blockers won't stop infections when the website itself has been compromised, or you get redirected to an infected website, so I also use Noscript which stops all javascript running by default.

Unfortunately, this breaks a lot of modern websites that use javascript and you need to work out which bit to switch on get the information you need. It is very educational about how much you are tracked on the web but the effort may be a step too far for lonewolf.

I am backing up on a flash drive.. I used to have two external hard drives connected but they too have disappeared..???
    Poltergeist!

2. Collapse Details

If anybody really wants to protect themselves, you can follow this [joking] advice from elsewhere on the 'net.
    I prefer to handcraft a tcp/ip and http protocol analyser stack in x86 assembly and pipe the output through od -o to read the webpage in octal

3. Collapse Details

I am backing up on a flash drive.. I used to have two external hard drives connected but they too have disappeared..???
    Damn those hackers - now they've stolen the external hard drives too!

4. Collapse Details

I appreciate all the suggestions but it is like reading Sanskrit to me... I am turning this over to my 12 year old grandson,.

5. Collapse Details

I am turning this over to my 12 year old grandson,.
    My 30-year-old son is the IT guy in a large public school and is yet to be stumped by all the weird shenanigans perpetrated by staff and students there!

6. Collapse Details

I appreciate all the suggestions but it is like reading Sanskrit to me... I am turning this over to my 12 year old grandson,.
    You can’t trust your grandson either.

2 weeks ago my 7 and 10 year old grandsons used their iPad to hack into my phone and changed my name to “poopy pants ugly face”. I did not notice for 8 days
    Last edited by Tuariki; 03-09-2019 at 07:06 AM.

7. Collapse Details

lol

8. Collapse Details

Fat finger editing. 7 and 10,

9. Collapse Details

Former Resident Geek
    I use CrashPlan to remotely back up my machines (selected because if supports Linux plus the mainstream OSs). Carbonite is another good service. I know lots of folks who use Dropbox or Google Drive but that requires more mucking about with where files are.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bhall View Post
    I use CrashPlan to remotely back up my machines (selected because if supports Linux plus the mainstream OSs). Carbonite is another good service. I know lots of folks who use Dropbox or Google Drive but that requires more mucking about with where files are.
    I actually back up to both Carbonite and Google Drive. I also use Lifelock to try to prevent identity theft, and Norton Software for anti-virus, anti-malware, and use a password manager to help me (Dashlane). I had a virus in 1996 and lost of a lot of data (95% of it I recovered thru some odd techniques), so became ultra-cautious after that