Facts, Not Fiction

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

If he continues to live in Australia, as it appears he has for all of his life, they could make things difficult for him there. If he did not re-pay whatever funds he got from the NASS, they could conceivably bar him from competing in all of the Aussie meets he's always competed in.

2. Collapse Details

I just think it's a hopeful sign. Perhaps he hasn't actually signed on the dotted line re "committed" but i wouldn't mind if they had given him some kind of waiver to show their support to him at the moment in case it helps sway him in the future.

(The NASS squad is reviewed each 6 months btw - he is in the 'development' list which generally means 'potential to reach international podium level within two years')

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    If he continues to live in Australia, as it appears he has for all of his life, they could make things difficult for him there. If he did not re-pay whatever funds he got from the NASS, they could conceivably bar him from competing in all of the Aussie meets he's always competed in.
    At this stage, we don't know if he has made a decision but he probably hasn't. This is just AA attempting to entrain him in the Australian system, in the hope that it becomes his default.

I still think that France will be able to offer something much more lucrative but AA is playing the odds while they can - it might work.

If he does choose France, he won't have to repay any money as he would have been eligible for support when it was received. He could even live and train in Australia and he'd be eligible to register and compete locally as he's still an Australian citizen.

He probably wouldn't get support from the state Institute of Sport because their objective is targeted at Australian representation but they'd probably offer full service with some cash from France.

4. Collapse Details

I'm not sure I like the sound of this.... over to you Athletics Australia...

Translated (roughly lol) from https://information.tv5monde.com/inf...nvoitee-308290

At only 17, holder of several world records and very impressive among junior athletes, Sasha Zhoya already captivates the athletics world with his prodigious talent (sprint, hurdles, pole). But his heart still sways between Australia, where he grew up, and France, his mother's country.

Under a blazing sun that crushes the National Institute of Sport, Expertise and Performance (INSEP), in the heart of the Bois de Vincennes, Ladji Doucouré is enthusiastic after a hurdles trial for Sasha Zhoya.

"I put on the table all that France can do today, and I think that we can do a lot compared to other countries", explains the national technical director (DTN) Athletics Patrice Gergès which includes a place at Insep and international coaches at no cost and the prospect of being a home star at the Paris-2024 Games.

Australia has also shown interest, according to Sasha's mother, but faces a system that relies on the private sector.

The countdown has begun: the prospect, whose father is Zimbabwean, has given himself until December to nominate to compete at the World Junior Championships in 2020 under the banner of his choice.

"The level of athletics is better here. Being at Insep gives me an idea, I think a lot, I say it's 50-50, but maybe it's different in my head," Zhoya acknowledges with a mischievous smile.

"I find myself with athletes who have done incredible things or do incredible things, marvels the young man with lean physique, after his session on the day of his 17th birthday. That shows me what I want to do with my life. In one session I learned things that I had not learned before. "

In Perth, where he was born in Australia, Zhoya certainly enjoys the advice of a high-level coach for the pole, but the expertise of the French school on hurdles remains incomparable.

"On the hurdles, I need a level a little higher, France can offer me this high level, there are some great coaches on the hurdles in France. In Australia, there is no athletes who push me to the training. When I come here, the level of athletics is better, so it pushes me, "he observes in a fluid French tinged with accent.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Vault-emort View Post
    In Perth, where he was born in Australia, Zhoya certainly enjoys the advice of a high-level coach for the pole, but the expertise of the French school on hurdles remains incomparable.

"On the hurdles, I need a level a little higher, France can offer me this high level, there are some great coaches on the hurdles in France. In Australia, there is no athletes who push me to the training. When I come here, the level of athletics is better, so it pushes me, "he observes in a fluid French tinged with accent.
    I looked at the IAAF lists and calculated the number of athletes achieving a standard in the following events:
    • 100m sub 10.10
    • 200m sub 20.30
    • 400m sub 45.00
    • 110H sub 13.30
    • PV 5.80+

I then totalled the number of IAAF points to capture the volume and quality of performances. The comparison for PV and 110H is as follows:

PV

Australia - 6 athletes, total points 91,908 (28% of points)
    France - 12 athletes, total points 236,598 (72%)

110H

Australia - 1 athlete, total points 1,198 (1%) [1 run - 13.29NR]
    France - 11 athletes, total points 128,828 (99%)

You'd have to agree that Zhoya's assessment is correct that PV is good but hurdles is shit, even when France has ~2.5 the population.

For the three flat sprints:

100m

Australia - 4 athletes, total points 13,080 (10%)
    France - 8 athletes, total points 116,317 (90%)

200m

Australia - 3 athletes, total points 8,325 (14%)
    France - 5 athletes, total points 50,083 (86%)

400m

Australia - 9 athletes, total points 28,627 (55%)
    France - 2 athletes, total points 23,814 (45%)

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro View Post
    You'd have to agree that Zhoya's assessment is correct that PV is good but hurdles is shit, even when France has ~2.5 the population.
    We do have one coach who took a junior hurdler to World & Olympic gold medals in the past 10 years.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Vault-emort View Post
    We do have one coach who took a junior hurdler to World & Olympic gold medals in the past 10 years.
    True, but not living in proximity to PV coach and it looks like coaching alone isn't going to solve the deeper problem (for Zhoya):

"In Australia, there is no athletes who push me to the training. When I come here, the level of athletics is better, so it pushes me,"
    Some athletes have the mental drive to push themselves in isolation, others need the challenge. It seems that he's more the latter.

8. Collapse Details

But at some point, he'll probably have to make a choice between the hurdles and the vault. Hard to imagine anyone combining both events at the highest senior level.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    But at some point, he'll probably have to make a choice between the hurdles and the vault. Hard to imagine anyone combining both events at the highest senior level.
    Yeah, but at his age they all think they can keep doing everything - and maybe he can? Sub-13.00s, +6.00m? Hmmmmm*

*(c) Brutal 2003

10. Collapse Details

Once he's a professional, I doubt he'll want to live in Australia rather than France (or elsewhere in the EU), given the travel requirements. But theoretically he could use his French passport to live in the EU while competing for Australia.