Facts, Not Fiction

1. Collapse Details
    Alice Coachman Style
    I was web surfing through a list of accomplished African-American women and came across this image of '48 Oly HJ champion Alice Coachman. Can someone please tell me what HJ style she is using here? Thanks in advance-
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JayIsMe View Post
    I was web surfing through a list of accomplished African-American women and came across this image of '48 Oly HJ champion Alice Coachman. Can someone please tell me what HJ style she is using here? Thanks in advance-
    She used a very upright and simple version of the Western Roll style. Ideally it is a side-clearance technique while Coachman held her head and shoulders very high.
    In the picture she still has to clear the legs. A very awkward position and maybe she has already knocked the bar off the pegs. However, watch her 2 jumps from the 1948 Games on YouYube. Those are clearly Western Roll jumps.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Per Andersen View Post
    However, watch her 2 jumps from the 1948 Games on YouYube. Those are clearly Western Roll jumps.
    I suppose so, although not much roll to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMaStiTEOqw

4. Collapse Details

But what a talent! With a decent technique and no WW2 she could have been a 5-10 (1.78) in the early 1940's. The WR was 1.71 in 1948 when Coachman did 5-6 (1.68). That result would also have won in the 1952 Games.