Facts, Not Fiction

1. Collapse Details
    Basketball Rules
    Somebody here knows the answer to this.

A basketball play while leaping out of bounds swats the out of bounds ball back into play before either he or the ball land or hit anything out of bounds.

????? Is the ball still in play????

2. Collapse Details

Yes. I've seen that happen often.

I am slightly less certain of what the ruling would be if the player's method of avoiding touching the ground before swatting the ball was by jumping onto the shoulder of a teammate who was standing out of bounds. I believe that would be an out of bounds call, but it's possible the exact wording of the rules doesn't say so.
    Last edited by 18.99s; 02-20-2019 at 05:17 AM.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Somebody here knows the answer to this.

A basketball play while leaping out of bounds swats the out of bounds ball back into play before either he or the ball land or hit anything out of bounds.

????? Is the ball still in play????
    As long as the player's last step was on the court and the player has not touched out of bounds, the ball remains in play.

As to 18.99s scenario, my assumption is that the ball would be considered out of bounds but I am not positive. I've never seen that occur to a specific point. However, if there is a pileup out of bounds and the ball hits the player on top of the pile, the ball is considered out of bounds off the player the ball hits (assuming the ball did not hit out of bounds elsewhere first) and possession goes to the opponent.

4. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    That happens all the time.....Michael Jordan even called time out doing it....then everyone was calling time out. ..so they changed the rules.