Facts, Not Fiction

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    They said sure, think that meant 15-20 reps. Heiden asked for 225 - the bar and 2 plates on each side, which surprised them, because they knew he could squat with about 500.

Heiden then did his long set of squats - for 15 minutes!!! They had no idea how many reps but estimated it at about 300 reps - with 225 on the bar.
    I think I read somewhere once he'd do a 15min wall sit as part of a workout.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    This has been such a great thread! Great story!

My nearest experience to this was playing Basketball with a Houston Rockets 12th man (15th man even?)who was dating/married a gal from my church; Dave Jamerson. A guy from my town, Andre Norman, was a league MVP Point Guard, played in college, yada, yada...the best basketball player we'd ever seen/known in my home town. That 12th man Dave Jamerson DESTROYED our stud. Our PG's thing was quickness, speed, handle, 3 Pt shooting (being 5'9"). This 12th man killed him in all aspects. He was WAY quicker, faster, everything. It was really eye opening the level of true pro talent, and this guy was a journeyman.
    In high school I was a decent basketball player, good enough so at Duke I could get in the good pick-up games, some with some of the guys on the team. A local high school kid would often join us and play pick-up and I often had to guard him for some reason. That local high school kid was John Lucas, who went on to play at Maryland and the NBA. Guarding him was truly humbling. I had no chance.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    In high school I was a decent basketball player, good enough so at Duke I could get in the good pick-up games, some with some of the guys on the team. A local high school kid would often join us and play pick-up and I often had to guard him for some reason. That local high school kid was John Lucas, who went on to play at Maryland and the NBA. Guarding him was truly humbling. I had no chance.
    When I was college aged a young chap would occasionally show up to play with the older guys at one of the local parks. It was Chris Mullin and he could shoot at about 13-14 years old pretty well.

4. Collapse Details

As a high school student growing up in Bratislava, my HS was a few blocks from a sporting complex of Slovan Bratislava. With a bunch of my classmates, we played some basketball (outdoor stadium). Czechoslovak women national academic team arrived to practice there and we stayed to watch. Their coach invited us to spar with them. One of their players was Olga Fikotová .
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

5. Collapse Details

Incredible Heiden story! My first Olympic hero.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!