Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    RIP Matti Nykänen
    Not a T&F, but arguably the ski jumping GOAT. Dead at 55. The cause of death not disclosed yet, AFAIK.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

2. Collapse Details

He did not lead a very healthy life. But this thread should probably be in Things not T&F.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Olli View Post
    He did not lead a very healthy life. But this thread should probably be in Things not T&F.
    I thought that all obits are placed here. The moderators can move it if they so choose.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

4. Collapse Details
    RIP Finnish Olympic ski-jumping champ Matti Nykanen
    Finnish Olympic ski-jumping champ Matti Nykanen dead at 55

Nykanen became an icon of sport in Finland. He was 18 when he won his first competition in the storied Four Hills tournament, yet with boyish looks, seemed even younger.

He won the gold medal in the large hill event at the 1984 Sarajevo Olympics and took all three gold medals four years later in Calgary, winning the normal hill and large hill as well as the team competitions.

5. Collapse Details

Still the only man to have completed the grand slam of ski jumping: OG, WC, ski flying WC, World Cup and the Four Hills. Were it not for his bad habits, his career could have been a lot longer. As it was, he was effectively done by the age of 26...
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

6. Collapse Details

I think the only negative mark on his resume is that he "only" won the overall Vierschanzentournee twice in his prime of about 7-8 years. I would have thought he would have won it more often given how dominant he was. (Four Hills = Vierschanzentournee, but I think that name is much cooler)

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pego View Post
    Not a T&F, but arguably the ski jumping GOAT. Dead at 55. The cause of death not disclosed yet, AFAIK.
    Nykänen transcended ski jumping. Not always in good ways, but he was a legend unlike any other.
    Last edited by LopenUupunut; 02-06-2019 at 04:38 AM.

8. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    I think the only negative mark on his resume is that he "only" won the overall Vierschanzentournee twice in his prime of about 7-8 years. I would have thought he would have won it more often given how dominant he was. (Four Hills = Vierschanzentournee, but I think that name is much cooler)
    Needless to say there was a bit more about him that you have left out.... the Times today...

Nykanen’s illustrious athletic career was sullied by 25 years of repeated reports of alcohol abuse and violence against his friends and wives.

In 2004, a Finnish court sentenced Nykanen, then 41, to two years and two months in prison for assaulting a friend with a knife during a drunken brawl after he had lost a finger-pulling contest.

Just days after being released, he was arrested again on charges of beating his estranged fifth wife, Mervi Tapola-Nykanen, a sausage company heiress, whom he had married twice.

Nykanen spent Christmas Day 2009 in a jail cell after he pulled a knife on his former wife and then tried to strangle her with the cord of a dressing gown, the authorities said. He was sentenced to 16 months behind bars for the attack.

After retiring from ski jumping in 1991, he tried his hand at pop music and recorded a hit album in 1992. He also generated publicity by doing a stint as a stripper in a nightclub and working on an erotic phone line.

9. Collapse Details

I meant on his jumping resume. I knew about his life transgressions

10. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    I sure didn't...I remember him well...sad story.