Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details

How about a coxswain?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KDFINE View Post
    How about a coxswain?
    Not a coach - basically a glorified metronome. I was one once, as an 88-pound freshman in HS. Not a stellar athletic memory.
    [not that Olympic-caliber coxes aren't vitally important; they can make or break an Eight]

3. Collapse Details

I remember seeing pictures of Connie Mack in a dapper suit in the dugout managing tha Philadelphia Athletics in the early 20th Century. I believe there were other business “suited” baseball managers in that same era, Charles Comiskey and ??? Manager of the New York Giants. When did this era of major league manager’s dress code become uniform only and was it dictated by Baseball Commisioner?

4. Collapse Details

I think it's pure nonsense to think a basketball or hockey coach need be in a coat and tie! USA Soccer coaches have it right: slacks (or warm-up pants) and a polo. Then there's some of those Euro Pro league footie managers who think they're on a GQ fashion shoot - boo!

5. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Most of the top English Premier League managers dress rather casually these days.

Last edited by Conor Dary; 01-29-2019 at 07:36 PM.

6. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Meanwhile....

Cricket captains do wear fancy blazers when they toss a coin to decide who bats first....

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I think it's pure nonsense to think a basketball or hockey coach need be in a coat and tie! USA Soccer coaches have it right: slacks (or warm-up pants) and a polo. Then there's some of those Euro Pro league footie managers who think they're on a GQ fashion shoot - boo!
    I like the look Tommy Amaker has fashioned up at Harvard as the coach. A mock turtleneck with a sportcoat. Looks pretty dapper, but then I like most everything about Tommy Amaker.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by midwestfan View Post
    I remember seeing pictures of Connie Mack in a dapper suit in the dugout managing tha Philadelphia Athletics in the early 20th Century. I believe there were other business “suited” baseball managers in that same era, Charles Comiskey and ??? Manager of the New York Giants. When did this era of major league manager’s dress code become uniform only and was it dictated by Baseball Commisioner?
    Burt Shotton, who managed the Brooklyn Dodgers to National League titles in 1947 and 1949, wore street clothes (but IIRC also wore a team baseball cap and often a team jacket over his mufti).

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by midwestfan View Post
    Managers wearing uniforms dates back to the earliest professionals when the manager was a player. I don't believe there is any rule requiring a manager to wear a uniform but, with the possible exception of this board, it is so ingrained into the game to have the manager and coaches who appear on the field throughout the game that having them not do so would become a big deal.

Other than Burt Shotton and Connie Mack, I don't think any managers have not worn uniforms as a matter of course.