Facts, Not Fiction

Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Eh, can't help but think future of polish atheltics look bleak. The level at which the polish championships are is abysmal. The results are really mediocre. And looking at Polish lists you can see that we have many stars and champions but there is no bench whatsoever. In every event we have 1 or 2 great athletes and then nothing. And they are usually old. For a basically national sport, the money that goes into it, state of polish atheltics is not in good place. we have no future.

2. Collapse Details

Like, everybody says we are strong in Hammer throw. Yes we have Fajdek, Nowicki but besides them? Third best polish HT is Rogowski with 70m which is like 120th place in the world. Fourth best Janusz 68m - about 160th place in the world. Fifth best Hammer thrower in poland Gołdyn 63m 360th in the world. Thats not good. future looks bleak

3. Collapse Details

Paris DL
    mSP
    4 Michał Haratyk 21.34
    7 Konrad Bukowiecki 21.20
    m1500
    10 Marcin Lewandowski 3:31.95 NR (beats his mark from 2017 by 2.09!)

All three are due back in Poland tomorrow to compete in the Nationals.
    Last edited by Powell; 08-24-2019 at 09:33 PM.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by damiansport2 View Post
    Eh, can't help but think future of polish atheltics look bleak. The level at which the polish championships are is abysmal. The results are really mediocre. And looking at Polish lists you can see that we have many stars and champions but there is no bench whatsoever. In every event we have 1 or 2 great athletes and then nothing. And they are usually old. For a basically national sport, the money that goes into it, state of polish atheltics is not in good place. we have no future.
    While I don't think Polish T&F is in as great a state as most fans believe, things are nowhere near as bad as you're saying. Yes, the depth is poor compared to the old days, but that's largely because the world has changed. Most athletes nowadays don't stick with competitive sport into senior years unless they have a reasonable chance of making it big time. And so it makes sense to look at the level of junior talent coming through, rather than depth at senior level. And that level of talent is still reasonably good, even if not as good as in previous years. OTOH, Polish coaches have generally been doing pretty well with the talent they have available.

I've been saying for a while that I consider the current period of Polish T&F a peak that probably won't be repeated for a while, so yes, I am expecting a bit of a slump after Tokyo, but not a complete breakdown. I mean Poland topping medal tables at European championship events is a bit of an aberration, given our population, infrastucture, amount of money available etc., so you can't really expect that to last. But as long as we can remain one of the top 5 or 6 nations in Europe, I would consider that pretty good.

5. Collapse Details

NC, day 3
    mSP
    1 Konrad Bukowiecki 21.83
    2 Michał Haratyk 21.45
    3 Jakub Szyszkowski 20.02
    mHT
    1 Paweł Fajdek 78.61
    2 Wojciech Nowicki 74.75
    w100H (+1.2)
    1 Karolina Kołeczek 12.82
    2 Klaudia Siciarz 12.85
    m110H (+1.0)
    1 Damian Czykier 13.37 WCq
    2 Artur Noga 13.66 SB
    mLJ
    1 Tomasz Jaszczuk 8.10 (+2.7)/ 8.02 (+0.8)
    w1500
    1 Sofia Ennaoui 4:13.07
    wDT
    1 Daria Zabawska 59.71

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    While I don't think Polish T&F is in as great a state as most fans believe, things are nowhere near as bad as you're saying.
    I've meant to ask you, why is your English so good? You write better than most Americans! (which, of course, the Brits will say is damning with faint praise).

7. Collapse Details

I guess I had good TOEs

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    I guess I had good TOEs
    Just from school?! You MUST speak it often in your 'real life'.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I've meant to ask you, why is your English so good? You write better than most Americans! (which, of course, the Brits will say is damning with faint praise).
    Where's that 'like' button!

10. Collapse Details

Not any more, actually. But I did go through a few years of English-language education.