1. Collapse Details

More results from Wuhan
    mHT
    1 Wojciech Nowicki 77.38
    m1500
    1. Michał Rozmys 3:46.33
    3. Marcin Lewandowski 3:46.61
    w4x4
    1 POL (Anna Kiełbasińska, Małgorzata Hołub-Kowalik, Joanna Linkiewicz, Justyna Święty-Ersetic) 3:27.84
    m4x4
    2 POL (Łukasz Krawczuk, Jakub Krzewina, Przemysław Waściński, Patryk Dobek) 3:06.36
    mMar (team gold)
    5. Henryk Szost 2:13:00
    6. Arkadiusz Gardzielewski 2:13:31
    wMar (team silver)
    5. Izabela Paszkiewicz 2:31:39
    6. Aleksandra Lisowska 2:31:40 PB
    7. Monika Andrzejczak 2:31:56 PB
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

2. Collapse Details

Anita Włodarczyk has finally received her Olympic gold from 2012. She was handed the medal at the Polish T&F federation's centenary gala: https://twitter.com/sport_tvppl/stat...94036772970496

3. Collapse Details

After recent death of his coach Wiesław Czapiewski, Paweł Wojciechowski will now be coached by Vyacheslav Kalinichenko, best known for his work with Monika Pyrek and Robeilys Peinado.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    After recent death of his coach Wiesław Czapiewski, Paweł Wojciechowski will now be coached by Vyacheslav Kalinichenko, best known for his work with Monika Pyrek and Robeilys Peinado.
    Cmon Slava (or Slavik?), get back home and coach some Ukrainians. “We” could do with having Kylypko get over 4.70 at least, the country of Bubka should have at least one quality vaulter of each gender...

5. Collapse Details

But he's been a Polish citizen for a while now. It's time we had a decent female vaulter as well.

6. Collapse Details

Didn’t know that Powell. I thought there would be a successor to Pyrek and Rogowska too. Does Peinado train in Poland? Do any other non-Polish vaulters (of either gender)?

FYI (off topic) the most promising Ukrainian male vaulter, Malykhin (1998), has been under provisional suspension by the national anti doping centre for the whole of this year.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by andyjgt View Post
    Didn’t know that Powell. I thought there would be a successor to Pyrek and Rogowska too. Does Peinado train in Poland? Do any other non-Polish vaulters (of either gender)?
    Kalinichenko has been living in Poland since 2000 and became a Polish citizen around 2011.

Yes, Peinado does train in Poland, at least for a large part of the year. I believe so does (or at least did) the Philippino vaulter Ernest Obiena.

8. Collapse Details

On the first subject, how long does it take to become a naturalised Polish citizen, whether through marriage to a Pole or not? In the first case, does one have to live in Poland to acquire citizenship? 11 years seems rather long for a Ukrainian. (I do remember the marathon runner Olha Kalendaryova who married Polish runner Pawel Ochal, although I don’t think she’s represented Poland yet.)
    Last edited by andyjgt; 11-15-2019 at 12:39 AM.

9. Collapse Details

Olga Ochal was never good enough to make an OG/WC/EC team, but she did represent Poland in the World Military Games in both 2015 and 2019. And she's won a few NC medals.

As for gaining Polish citizenship, I'm not even sure what the exact requirements are. The story I read about Kalinichenko was that he wasn't even thinking about becoming a Pole until talking to the then president Lech Kaczyński at some official function, when he was told he could get it if he wanted to.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    As for gaining Polish citizenship, I'm not even sure what the exact requirements are. The story I read about Kalinichenko was that he wasn't even thinking about becoming a Pole until talking to the then president Lech Kaczyński at some official function, when he was told he could get it if he wanted to.
    If the president suggested it, he might have been considering "Naturalization by grant" which apparently allows the president to grant Polish citizenship on any conditions. I'm not sure how common that sort of power is in Europe or anywhere?

The Wikipedia page has further detail on the standard ways. It was updated recently so it's probably right.