Facts, Not Fiction

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
    Everything you need to know about the best films.
    https://lifehacker.com/you-can-skip-...ies-1832195488
    Just to illustrate the cluelessness of the author . . .

Bohemian Rhapsody
    I have not seen Bohemian Rhapsody, but am comfortable saying that unless you absolutely adore Queen and are hankering for as much Queen content as possible, you don’t need to see it.
    I do not like 95% of Queen's catalog and had no curiosity to learn more about the band, AND I don't like musicals, per se, but I enjoyed this movie immensely.

The article's author thinks snarkiness = cleverness. Hardly.

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    went and saw Green Book this afternoon, and as a quality piece of entertainment (as opposed to getting into it as a socio- historico- piece of "documentary journalism", hard to top.

Can't remember the last time an audience (admittedly with average profile being nearly-dead white guys) stood up and clapped at the end.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I do not like 95% of Queen's catalog and had no curiosity to learn more about the band, AND I don't like musicals, per se, but I enjoyed this movie immensely.

The article's author thinks snarkiness = cleverness. Hardly.
    I am a die-hard Queen fan and enjoyed the movie, but kinda agree with what the author said...it was a guilty pleasure for me.

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    postscript to Green Book viewing: after watching Viggo for a couple of hours we went out to an Italian dinner, and then when we hit bed I picked up the book on the nightstand and continued reading Lord Of The Rings (for the umpteenth time). It just wasn't the same every time Aragorn popped up not as the ultimate noble warrior but as an overweight New Yorker with an Italian accent!

5. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by xw View Post
    I am a die-hard Queen fan and enjoyed the movie, but kinda agree with what the author said...it was a guilty pleasure for me.
    Im not a die-hard Queen fan but even I can listen and understand that he was the greatest raw musical talent that Rock music ever produced. Bar none !

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    went and saw Green Book this afternoon, and as a quality piece of entertainment (as opposed to getting into it as a socio- historico- piece of "documentary journalism", hard to top.

Can't remember the last time an audience (admittedly with average profile being nearly-dead white guys) stood up and clapped at the end.
    Yeah. I think it's called: "Isn't it nice that Black people got us White people to see ourselves in the light of redemption" applause.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    Im not a die-hard Queen fan but even I can listen and understand that he was the greatest raw musical talent that Rock music ever produced. Bar none !
    Jim Morrison ???

8. Collapse Details

Watched Green Book today with the wife. Very good movie. The actors did a nice job. Weird that a 59 year old man is portraying a 32 year old, but beyond that, great.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    the greatest raw musical talent that Rock music ever produced. Bar none !
    You err. That's Axl Rose. Look him up.

The Guns N' Roses vocalist has sung notes that span nearly six octaves, from F1 (in There Was a Time), in the second-lowest octave in scientific pitch notation, to B flat 6 (Ain't it Fun), five octaves above it. Rose has a lower baritone than Barry White, and can reach higher notes than Tina Turner and Beyoncé.
    Not only could he hit notes no one else could, he could change inflection in mid-note, from growl to soprano. But you'd have to open your mind to appreciate his hard rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYCnrlJIGsU

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    You err. That's Axl Rose. Look him up.

Not only could he hit notes no one else could, he could change inflection in mid-note, from growl to soprano. But you'd have to open your mind to appreciate his hard rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYCnrlJIGsU
    Nails on a blackboard.