Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Well Id rather win a supporting actor award than lose in a leading actor category. I want to dispell the rumors that are swirling about me, for the record user4 is still waiting for his first nomination!

2. Collapse Details

I don't believe there's a rule saying you can't have two leading actors of the same sex in one movie. Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis were both nominated for Best Actress for 'Thelma and Louise'.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

3. Collapse Details

During my car collecting days, I owned a 65 T-bird and still cringe thinking about that beautiful car going over the cliff. ..

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    I don't believe there's a rule saying you can't have two leading actors of the same sex in one movie. Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis were both nominated for Best Actress for 'Thelma and Louise'.
    And neither won.

There's no written rule against two lead nominees like that, but apparently each voter can only choose one (unlike T&FN which allows multiple ranked choices), so two going for it would split the vote and make somebody else win.

It's the classic flaw with voting systems that only allow voting for only one choice in each contest. You can have a room of people where 60% prefer ice cream for dessert, 40% prefer cake, yet when they vote the cake group wins ... because two flavors of ice cream were offered but only one flavor of cake.
    Last edited by 18.99s; 01-28-2019 at 11:02 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Not much of a movie goer myself but mrs. hammy and I occasionally take in a movie and today it was Green Book, on my radar for the racial stuff plus the piano playing. (We talked about going to Vice but I have no desire to spoil a good day watching and remembering the real-life Dr. Evil.)

Excellent buddy movie, both buddies count equally. On the Oscar best/supporting category question, my take is the studio (or whoever does this these days) made a call to go for two Oscars instead of having them compete in the same category, and the black dude got the Tonto nod. In fact, I'd be surprised if it wasn't in their contracts.

That makes three nominated movies I've seen, including BlacKKKlansman and Bohemian Rhapsody. All excellent and entertaining. And Spike Lee for Best Director - like Al Pacino with Scent of a Woman, maybe not his best movie ever (Do the Right Thing) but give the man his dues.

A side note about bad hammy and movies: since 1997 I've had the good fortune to live in places where marijuana is legal and for the last decade I've exercised that privileged regularly. One side effect I could live without is that now I cry like a baby at movies, this after five tearless decades. I'll have to start rating movies by wet hankys . . .
    Last edited by bad hammy; 01-29-2019 at 01:39 AM.

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    more on actors looking like themselves, as my local critic analyzes the nominations:

<<... Cooper, was, ,however, nominated for best actor. He looks like himself in A Star is Born, which makes him an anomaly in this category. For the rest of teh category the Academy nominated Halloween costumes—Christian Bale as Dick Cheney, Willem Dafoe (at 63) as the 37-year-old Vincent van Gogh, Rami Malek as Freddie Mercury and Viggo Mortensen as a fat guy. Cooper will lose. Mortensen deserves to win but he'll also lose. Bale will win because the Academy likes that kind of thing."...>>

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bad hammy View Post

A side note about bad hammy and movies: since 1997 I've had the good fortune to live in places where marijuana is legal and for the last decade I've exercised that privileged regularly. One side effect I could live without is that now I cry like a baby at movies, this after five tearless decades. I'll have to start rating movies by wet hankys . . .
    [/SIZE]
    Never touched the stuff and now past 60 I find myself welling up at movies, TV, stage plays, music, etc almost constantly.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    now past 60 I find myself welling up at movies, TV, stage plays, music, etc almost constantly.
    Not constantly, but moreso than my younger years. I wish I knew what pushes my buttons. I get choked up at the weirdest stuff. My wife is in touch with her emotions and cries easily when the emotional power is appropriate - loss of a loved one, a particularly touching scene, etc. I don't cry much, but I find myself verklemmt at weird times, like a father and son have a difficult talk, or when a particularly harrowing circumstance resolves itself felicitously. I look over at my wife, expecting to see Niagara Falls and . . . nada. I think my limbic system is outta whack!

9. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    more on actors looking like themselves, as my local critic analyzes the nominations:

<<... Cooper, was, ,however, nominated for best actor. He looks like himself in A Star is Born, which makes him an anomaly in this category. For the rest of teh category the Academy nominated Halloween costumesóChristian Bale as Dick Cheney, Willem Dafoe (at 63) as the 37-year-old Vincent van Gogh, Rami Malek as Freddie Mercury and Viggo Mortensen as a fat guy. Cooper will lose. Mortensen deserves to win but he'll also lose. Bale will win because the Academy likes that kind of thing."...>>
    Oddball fact...
    Happy birthday to Christian Bale and Dick Cheney. (No joke. They have the same birthday)
    https://mobile.twitter.com/GhostPant...39186732797952

10. Collapse Details

Everything you need to know about the best films.
    https://lifehacker.com/you-can-skip-...ies-1832195488