Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 100
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Strawman argumentation at its best. Has anyone on these forums ever claimed that a blockbuster movie can't be good?
    Jeremiah P!
    He claims that I say all blockbusters are good, so by his own logic, I impute that he says no blockbuster can be good.
    Last edited by Atticus; 01-23-2019 at 08:43 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,068
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
    Now come on Atti baby. Where did I use the word mediocre? Or lacked merit? If you want to have a discussion on the merits, fine! Don't assume you know my views until I give them.
    By the same token, do not assume that the people who make movies blockbusters are somehow less reliable critics than YOU!
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    16,062
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Jeremiah P!
    He claims that I say all blockbusters are good
    And you claim that you don't?
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Jeremiah P!
    He claims that I say all blockbusters are good, so by his own logic, I impute that he says no blockbuster can be good.
    No dear boy. What I claim, based on your repeated assertions, is that the Box Office equates with quality, and that critics are scum.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    By the same token, do not assume that the people who make movies blockbusters are somehow less reliable critics than YOU!
    My view of movies is MY view only. You, on the other hand continuously equate $ with your preferences, which tells me you pay a lot of attention to Vox Populi.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,769
    An interesting look at "Black/White themed, racial cumbaya" movies.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/23/a...gtype=Homepage

    I saw "Green Book" in a movie packed with Floridians, mostly white, and I decided to turn off my intellectual antenna and enjoy the movie. As the article says: "Even without that thumbs-down, you can sense what a particularly perverse fantasy this is: that absolution resides in a neutered black man needing a white guy not only to protect and serve him, but to love him, too."
    As I said I enjoyed the movie, but it didn't teach me anything about race, or race relations, It was a comedy for white people.
    Last edited by jeremyp; 01-23-2019 at 09:17 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,068
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
    My view of movies is MY view only. You, on the other hand continuously equate $ with your preferences, which tells me you pay a lot of attention to Vox Populi.
    Way off base. I equate $$ with popular success, a very significant factor in movie-making. Many huge block-busters have little 'cinematic artistry', should not be considered for Oscars, but should be considered great entertainment (a distinction not to be under-valued (pun?)). Some blockbusters have great cinematic value. I would definitely put all three I listed above in that category.

    On the other hand, movies with little box-office success (including many Oscar nominated films) should often (not always) be looked at with a jaundiced eye. WHY did no one want to pay to go see it? Critics do not have to spend their own money, plus they almost always wish to differentiate themselves from the masses (exc. Roger Ebert, who was, at heart, indeed one of the masses), so they look for quirky movies that show thematic value, or excel at one aspect of movie-making, like cinematography or set design, to make a mountain out of a mole-hill.

    If you style yourself to be one of those people who love these little films, knock yourself out. But do NOT try to look down your nose at the hoi polloi, whose hard-earned dollars make the film industry possible. Their 'taste' is every bit as valid as yours, no matter how refined you think your sensibilities. As my favorite uncle used to say when he heard someone pontificate on what people SHOULD like, 'Get over yourself!'

    I have never said great box-office makes great cinematic artistry. It does, however, indicate great entertainment.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I have never said great box-office makes great cinematic artistry. It does, however, indicate great entertainment.
    And you have said that entertainment is the main, if only, reason you go to the movies. Ergo you go to box office hits because they entertain....the masses. Sorry, couldn't help myself. I am so ashamed
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,068
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
    I am so ashamed
    And well you should be!
    We'l'l never resolve this, so you enjoy stuff and I'll enjoy stuff, and we shall studiously avoid trying to tell each other what we SHOULD believe about a movie; we'll just say what we (dis)liked about it.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #20
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    west of Westeros
    Posts
    61,827
    in his weekly answer-reader-questions feature, the SF Chron critic responded to a question regarding his top movies of the century so far (and no, this isn't an opportunity to get into when the century began debate):

    <<Here’s my tentative top 25, listed alphabetically, of films released since Jan. 1, 2000: “The Artist” (France), “The Best of Youth” (Italy), “Blue is the Warmest Color” (France), “Boyhood,” “Bridget Jones’s Diary,” “Darkest Hour,” “Disobedience,” “Downfall” (Germany), “Django Unchained,” “4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days” (Romania), “Inglourious Basterds,” “Lincoln,” “The Lives of Others” (Germany), “Living is Easy With Eyes Closed” (Spain), “A Most Violent Year,” “The New World,” “Novitiate,” “One Day,” “The Past” (Iran), “Revanche” (Austria), “Revolutionary Road,” “The Role of Her Life” (France), “Third Person,” “Truman” (Spain), “25th Hour,” “Vox Lux,” and “The Wolf of Wall Street.” There are 27 in my top 25 but, hey, we’re among friends.>>

    I've only seen 6
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •