Facts, Not Fiction

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
  1. Collapse Details

:-)
    Am I the only one here who regards all this film industry self-congratulation and shallow self-criticism as a narcissistic load of shit?

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    No...

But I don't pay much attention to it anyways....
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 02-26-2019 at 04:40 AM.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jc203 View Post
    Am I the only one here who regards all this film industry self-congratulation and shallow self-criticism as a narcissistic load of shit?
    Oh, that goes without saying. But, to be fair, the Emmys and the Grammys and the Tonys, etc., all do it also.

4. Collapse Details

I've always had a "sorta like/really hate" feeling when I watch these award shows. The acceptance speeches are what ruins them. If we could get them to stop listing names, even beloved family members, and just say thank you and why, we'd be better off...and an hour shorter,

5. Collapse Details

This may explain why one film wins without the most No.1's.

Preferential voting can produce an Oscar winner that may not receive the highest number of first-place votes. Starting with the 82nd Academy Awards, the best picture category expanded from five movies to as many as 10. The system aims to ensure that the film with the broadest support wins — which isn't necessarily the film that gets the most first-place votes. Here’s how it works, using eight nominees as an example:

"Each voter ranks the films in order of preference and submits the ballot.
    The No. 1 picks from all voters are tabulated.
    A film needs more than half the votes to win. If no film gets more than half of the No. 1 picks, the nominee with the fewest is thrown out. Those ballots are then given to the remaining nominees according to the voters' No. 2 choice.
    The process repeats

Nominees are eliminated, giving votes to the next highest-ranked film on each ballot. When one film obtains more than 50% of the votes, the winner is decided."
    https://www.latimes.com/visuals/grap...301-story.html

6. Collapse Details

Sounds very similar to majority ordinals, which how they used to determine rankings in figure skating - system changed after the 2002 Winter Olympics pairs fiasco.

7. Collapse Details

No. You are not the only one. But you are entitled to your opinion. I don't agree with you, but hey......... It is what it is.

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    and it's not just the film industry; go to any HOF or other awards ceremony and the treacle is laid on thick. It's part of the game.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    and it's not just the film industry; go to any HOF or other awards ceremony and the treacle is laid on thick. It's part of the game.
    Exactly!! But like I said, it is what it is.

10. Collapse Details

Every organizational gathering believes their own shit don't stink. Even the Pig Shit Shovelers of America.

Green Book was an entertaining film with a mixed message that makes whites feel good about themselves.

It was a weak field. If Lee had one it would've been "The Departed" all over again where they gave an award for the bulk of work not the actual film nominated.

Melissa McCarthy was robbed.