Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Hmm, another use for HGH
    Law enforcement agents said they also turned up a locked briefcase filled with more than 30 bottles of what appeared to be human growth hormone, a drug used by athletes and bodybuilders who think that it augments muscle mass and boosts speed.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.516a533b4eb2

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
    a drug used by athletes and bodybuilders who think that it augments muscle mass and boosts speed.
    Most of us here think it does too. Do you know something we don't?
    HGH, testosterone, and anabolic steroids are the PEDs you hear about the most (and EPO for distance).

3. Collapse Details

I do not recall the source, but a few years ago I saw a well documented paper indicating that HGH works as a PED only in association with anabolic steroids.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

4. Collapse Details

I have a good friend (orthopaedist) who knows more about PEDs than anyone I know. He is insistent there is no evidence that HGH has performance enhancing properties in any human studies. Pego is correct that it is shown to increase performance when taken with anabolic steroids, but to my knowledge, there has been no RCT comparing HGH + anabolic steroids to anabolic steroids alone, to see if there is any difference.

Conceptually, if you know how HGH works, it makes little sense that it is a PED. It makes your bones grow (an overgrowth of this causes acromegaly - see Tony Robbins / Andre the Giant). The muscle growth comes mainly from testosterone. Once your physes (growth plates) are closed, all HGH can do is make your bones thicker since they can no longer grow - and that, by definition, is acromegaly.

5. Collapse Details

There have been many cases when athletes were taking stuff as PEDs when it did nothing to enhance performance or was actually countereffective. Doping isn't always based on solid science. I guess some athletes will still buy HGH because they believe it will aid them, even if there is no real proof it will.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

6. Collapse Details

Ha! So it turns out everyone BUT me knew that?!
    All this time I thought HGH was a main PED. And apparently many athletes did too?
    I sincerely appreciate the correction!

7. Collapse Details

I remember about 20 years ago that HGH was known as "the drug of champions" because it was reckoned that many top athletes were taking it but there was no reliable method of detection. I assume its efficacy was over-estimated.

8. Collapse Details

If the stuff isn't actually countereffective then at least the perpetrators enjoy some placebo effect, I think?

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by xw View Post
    If the stuff isn't actually countereffective then at least the perpetrators enjoy some placebo effect, I think?
    I guess. But they'd enjoy the same effect if their coaches fed them sugar pills and told them it was the most powerful PED around. This way they would avoid the risk of testing positive, and it would be a lot cheaper, too.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

10. Collapse Details

Here's a book recommendation that hits on a lot of this stuff - just finished reading "Good to Go: What the Athlete in All of Us can Learn from the Strange Science of Recovery" by Christie Aschwanden, who is a science writer and a pretty decent endurance athlete.

She hits on how much of all the stuff athletes do is not proven to do anything and if it does, most of it is simply a placebo effect.

Placebo effect is incredibly strong and people who talk of it and say "its not just a placebo" do not realize this but doctors do from our practice. There have been estimates that 30-40% of any medical intervention that improves "whatever" is due to the placebo effect. Other studies have shown that if you do a double-blind study and tell the people who are getting placebos that they received placebos, they will still improve. Placebo effect has even been shown to work in laboratory animals.

Good to Go discusses all of this - highly recommended book