Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Willie Banks challenging Stephanie Hightower as America's IAAF rep
    The USATF annual meeting in Columbus, Ohio, will feature a battle of the titans — ex-TJ world-record-holder Banks and incumbent IAAF Council member Hightower, who says she's running for IAAF vice presidency.

No love lost between the two. Remember the 2014 Anaheim convention — when delegates voted overwhelmingly to retain Bob Hersh as IAAF rep and the USATF board voided the vote and installed Hightower?

In the aftermath, Banks called the board move "totally unforgivable."

Now this:
    https://timesofsandiego.com/sports/2...f-council-rep/

K E N

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    whoa! fasten your seatbelts!

3. Collapse Details

After thorough deliberation lasting 2 milliseconds, I know who will get my vote.

Also note that Lionel Leach is running for Board member representing Youth Athletics.

This should be fun.

4. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    I'd imagine he won't have to try too hard to win the general vote. Question is will the s̶t̶a̶r̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ Board come to Hightower's rescue again(assuming they can - don't know if there's been any governance change since the debacle with Hersh). Also, probably not the best time to draw the ire of the USOC
    There are no strings on me

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    I'd imagine he won't have to try too hard to win the general vote. Question is will the s̶t̶a̶r̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ Board come to Hightower's rescue again(assuming they can - don't know if there's been any governance change since the debacle with Hersh). Also, probably not the best time to draw the ire of the USOC
    It is now harder for the Board to overturn the vote of the delegates.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    The language remains in Article 17F of the Bylaws:
    Board oversight: The Board may reject a nominee elected for the IAAF Council, IAAF committee, or NACAC position by a two thirds vote of its total members who are not personally conflicted if it finds that good cause exists to disqualify the individual from being nominated to the position. The nominee may appeal an adverse decision to arbitration before the Court of Arbitration for Sport under its rules. USATF shall pay the costs of arbitration. The arbitration panel shall hear the matter de novo, and shall uphold the Board’s decision if it finds that good cause exists to disqualify the nominee. The arbitral decision shall be final and binding on all parties. All proceedings under this paragraph, with the exception of the final arbitral decision, shall be confidential unless all parties waive confidentiality. If a nominee is disqualified, the Board shall elect a replacement nominee.
    I am not an attorney, but I thought "good cause" had a legal meaning with a higher threshhold than the crap in their press release:
    http://www.usatf.org/News/A-Message-...Directors.aspx

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    It is now harder for the Board to overturn the vote of the delegates.
    You are correct, as usual. It took a while to find, but the process applied to Hersh was only in effect in 2014 and what I quoted was after amendments in 2015:
    https://www.usatf.org/Events---Calen...g-rvsd-12.aspx
    This was probably covered in other threads, but making this more interesting to me is that 2014 was not an L & L year and the submissions, all from the Board, probably did not get the scrutiny they should have. The timeline was to elect Hersh, pass amendments to recharacterize the election as a recommendation, give the Board authority to reject the recommendation, and one hour later do just that.
    To correct my previous post, the addition of "just cause" and CAS appeal will make it much more difficult for the Board to overturn the election.

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Master403 View Post
    You are correct, as usual. It took a while to find, but the process applied to Hersh was only in effect in 2014 and what I quoted was after amendments in 2015:
    https://www.usatf.org/Events---Calen...g-rvsd-12.aspx
    This was probably covered in other threads, but making this more interesting to me is that 2014 was not an L & L year and the submissions, all from the Board, probably did not get the scrutiny they should have. The timeline was to elect Hersh, pass amendments to recharacterize the election as a recommendation, give the Board authority to reject the recommendation, and one hour later do just that.
    To correct my previous post, the addition of "just cause" and CAS appeal will make it much more difficult for the Board to overturn the election.
    The bylaws had changed before 2014, we weren't even supposed to vote on IAAF rep at all. The Board was just supposed to pick.

Then the USOC threatened to decertify us if we didn't pass emergency legislation about petty governance issues. Because their priorities were about control, not protecting athletes from abuse.

Because that portion of the bylaws had been reopened, IAAF nominee was changed during the annual meeting to a vote. But the board could still overturn.

Now it is harder to overturn.

9. Collapse Details

Steve Miller is also termed out. All actions on this vote, should the Board seek to overturn it, need to be done without him involved. Glad I don't go to this circus of the lowest circle of Dante's Inferno anymore. Too many backstabbers and self-important nobodies trying to rule over nothing for their own egos.

10. Collapse Details

I did mini Q&As with Willie and Stephanie, where challenger Banks says: “How can IAAF better grow the sport? I have a plan that I would like to discuss in Columbus. I hope you don’t mind if I don’t divulge it now.”

https://timesofsandiego.com/sports/2...eld-with-fans/

K. E. N