Facts, Not Fiction

Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I don't feel like Mondo was pushed to his limits in Berlin. He made setting 3 consecutive PBs (and WJRs) and clearing 605 look easy, he cleared height after height on his first go and still had room to spare at the end.

In that respect it was very unlike what Nishida did, or what Lαzaro Borges did in Daegu (where he improved his PB by 15 cm, scored two PBs and one =PB and lost the gold on countback). Nishida and Borges fought for every inch and centimeter, set PBs on third attempts with their backs against the wall, and generally kept the fight going when the reasonable expectation was that it would finally end.

Mondo just breezed through the competition. It reminded me more of Ferreira da Silva in the '52 Oly final, when he broke the mTJ WR twice and had two other jumps beyond the old record - certainly a performance that established he could deliver when it mattered, but the main takeaway wasn't "the guy has tremendous fighting spirit" or "the guy really hates losing" as much as it was "the guy's good."
    Last edited by LopenUupunut; 05-24-2019 at 07:49 PM.

2. Collapse Details

When was the last time anyone other than a decathlete was considered to be the world's greatest athlete? The guy with the fast track moniker might be headed that way.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LopenUupunut View Post
    I don't feel like Mondo was pushed to his limits in Berlin. He made setting 3 consecutive PBs (and WJRs) and clearing 605 look easy, he cleared height after height on his first go and still had room to spare at the end.

In that respect it was very unlike what Nishida did, or what Lαzaro Borges did in Daegu (where he improved his PB by 15 cm, scored two PBs and one =PB and lost the gold on countback). Nishida and Borges fought for every inch and centimeter, set PBs on third attempts with their backs against the wall, and generally kept the fight going when the reasonable expectation was that it would finally end.

Mondo just breezed through the competition. It reminded me more of Ferreira da Silva in the '52 Oly final, when he broke the mTJ WR twice and had two other jumps beyond the old record - certainly a performance that established he could deliver when it mattered, but the main takeaway wasn't "the guy has tremendous fighting spirit" or "the guy really hates losing" as much as it was "the guy's good."

I am the biggest Mondo fan out there, but I think he was tapped out at 6.05. He mentioned he was exhausted and his shins barely cleared the bar. In the vault the hips DO lie!

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    When was the last time anyone other than a decathlete was considered to be the world's greatest athlete? The guy with the fast track moniker might be headed that way.
    I'm sure there was (ongoing?) a decade where the average man in the street might well have gone for Bolt.

5. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by LopenUupunut View Post

That post my friend is what we call in the TFN chat world "track and field forum solid gold" !!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    That post my friend is what we call in the TFN chat world "track and field forum solid gold" !!
    Thiago Braz had a massive mind blowing PR to beat Renaud. I think 5.90ish to 6.03.

Last good jump he has had. Watching him the last few years you would think he never cleared 5.80. This common with out of nowhere zero to hero gold medalists?

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Jshapco2 View Post
    Thiago Braz had a massive mind blowing PR to beat Renaud. I think 5.90ish to 6.03.

Last good jump he has had. Watching him the last few years you would think he never cleared 5.80. This common with out of nowhere zero to hero gold medalists?
    Meanwhile, Mondo pops another 6 meter jump at a conference meet. Thiago-Braz had has best performance ever on the biggest stage. I have a feeling Mondo will have big jumps in all sorts of meets.

8. Collapse Details

He has three 6 meter jumps in the last 8 months.......Looking for something big in Texas.

Could we see a 6-6.10m (20 ft ) jump heck yes absolutely possible.

Could we see another Berlin (multiple 6 meter jumps) very possible.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cajun5150 View Post
    Could we see a 6-6.10m (20 ft) jump
    If the conditions are right, and he IS going Pro right after the meet, I fully expect a 6.10 jump. Nothing like shelving the record for a while!

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Jshapco2 View Post

Thiago had a knee injury in training at the end of '16 and hasn't been the same since.