Facts, Not Fiction

Page 23 of 42 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    This makes no sense. Mondo has a ceiling, we just don't know what it is, and in the long run he can collect more bonus money by breaking the WR 1 cm at a time. So if he jumps 6.19 in college that's 3 WR bonuses that he will never recoup.
    If he misses out on 3 WR bonuses but gets a massive contract for being a 3-time WR breaker, is he really losing from a $$$ point of view?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LopenUupunut View Post
    If he misses out on 3 WR bonuses but gets a massive contract for being a 3-time WR breaker, is he really losing from a $$$ point of view?
    I don't believe his 1st contract will be dininished by waiting until he turns pro to attempt the WR because sponsor already have a good sense of his potential. McLaughlin didn't set any WR's in college and look how that worked out for her. Sponsor might even prefer that he break the WR wearing their gear.

3. Collapse Details

But would setting one WR really reduce his chances for another by a significant amount? It's not very likely he would have an attempt that would be sufficient to clear 6.17, but not good enough for 6.18.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

4. Collapse Details

This makes no sense. Mondo has a ceiling, we just don't know what it is, and in the long run he can collect more bonus money by breaking the WR 1 cm at a time. So if he jumps 6.19 in college that's 3 WR bonuses that he will never recoup.
    What makes no sense? Any decent agent will be able to get him a much better contract as a euro champ + WR holder than as just a euro champ. That difference would greatly exceed any WR bonus. He would also be smart to have his bonus be structured for every centimeter he raises the records instead of every world record. That way he gets paid for 10cm whether he does it all at once or in multiple competitions.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter Brown View Post
    What makes no sense? Any decent agent will be able to get him a much better contract as a euro champ + WR holder than as just a euro champ. That difference would greatly exceed any WR bonus.
    I disagree with this assessment.

6. Collapse Details

Yes but would the bonus for a wr in sponsor kit exceed the base he could negotiate as an existing wr holder. What’s worth more, having the wr holder wearing your kit, or the publicity from when an athlete wearing your jersey breaks the WR?

I gotta believe the photo of him standing next to the scoreboard wearing company gear showing the new record plastered across the internet and newspapers is worth way more then the negotiating leverage an agent has saying he represents the wr holder.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by highjumpfan View Post
    I gotta believe the photo of him standing next to the scoreboard wearing company gear showing the new record plastered across the internet and newspapers is worth way more then the negotiating leverage an agent has saying he represents the wr holder.
    This is my assessment too, but perhaps gh or someone else with inside knowledge about the industry can weigh in.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    . There really is such a thing as 'Love of the Sport'

“Amateur” comes from “amatore”, Latin for “lover”. It means “someone who does something for love rather than money” or “someone motivated by love rather than money”.

9. Collapse Details

Stop with the straw men. I never said or implied that Mondo doesn't love the sport and polevaultpower didn't either.
    You need a new song. It was not a straw man, simply a different line of logic than you used.
    We'll see, won't we? If he is jumping well and QUITS without attempting a WR, they you would be correct. If he's jumping well in good conditions and shuts it down to 'save it', I will be extremely surprised.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    You need a new song. It was not a straw man, simply a different line of logic than you used.
    You implied that folks like polevaulterpower and I were questioning Mondo's love of the sport.

I would say you grossly underestimate his love of the sport. NFL/NBA/MLB players would play the game for 10% of what they're paid, if that's what it took to play the game.