Facts, Not Fiction

Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Yes, I am.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Out of curiosity, are you European-based?
    Here's a hint. He's the guy that originated and updates the "Polish News' thread.

3. Collapse Details

I understand that because there's no equivalent to the NCAA in Europe, it may be hard for someone who wasn't raised here to appreciate what an NCAA title means to young American athletes, especially one who comes from a family that bleeds purple and gold (LSU's colors). However, trust me when I say that it would be shocking if Mondo was interested in taking a transcontinental trip to compete in a track meet 5 days before he was scheduled to compete in the NCAA Championships, even if the head coach allowed it which I assume he wouldn't.

4. Collapse Details

I get that it's a big deal to the Americans in principle, but if you're one of the best in the world in your event and have already won a major international title, your perspective might be different. Plus he's dominant enough at the NCAA level that he can most probably get away with it.

Another thing to consider is that he might want to build a brand name in Sweden. Nobody over there will give a hoot if he wins an American college title, but a European gold will generate significant publicity.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    I get that it's a big deal to the Americans in principle, but if you're one of the best in the world in your event and have already won a major international title, your perspective might be different. Plus he's dominant enough at the NCAA level that he can most probably get away with it.
    You obviously don't have a feel for NCAA competition these days because he will definitely need his A game to beat folks like Matthew Ludwig and Chris Nilsen.

Another thing to consider is that he might want to build a brand name in Sweden. Nobody over there will give a hoot if he wins an American college title, but a European gold will generate significant publicity.
    But Mondo culturally, Mondo is an American, not a European, and he's already won a European gold anyway.

6. Collapse Details

I agree with Powell!
    He likely won't be competing for LSU past his Frosh year!
    And for Euros---and Mondo DOES compete for Sweden---the European Champs title would be far more important---AND more lucrative once he goes Pro---than any amount of NCAA titles!!

7. Collapse Details

But Mondo culturally, Mondo is an American, not a European
    That's totally true, and totally beside the point I was making.

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    ..... But Mondo culturally, Mondo is an American, not a European,....
    No he's not, he's a cajun! :-)

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by aaronk View Post
    I agree with Powell!
    He likely won't be competing for LSU past his Frosh year!
    And for Euros---and Mondo DOES compete for Sweden---the European Champs title would be far more important---AND more lucrative once he goes Pro---than any amount of NCAA titles!!
    FYI, you can't take prize and endorsement money and maintain your NCAA eligibility, and he needs to be NCAA eligible in order to compete for an NCAA title in June.
    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 02-09-2019 at 08:29 PM.

10. Collapse Details

That's totally true, and totally beside the point I was making.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the point you seem to be making is that Mondo has his priorities all wrong, and the point I'm making is that young American athletes have different priorities than young European athletes.