Facts, Not Fiction

Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

The men's 5k had some good performances by the Australians. In Heat 1, Morgan McDonald finished 8th and Patrick Tiernan in 10th with 13:26.80 and 13:28.42 respectively.

They finished 2 and 5 places behind the final time qualifier, Justyn Knight of CAN with 13:25.95.

The other heat showed that Stewart McSweyn had his tactical head switched on, finishing in 4th place in a blanket finish to grab a big Q.

His time of 13:20.58 was in the middle of places 1-7, who were all within one second of each other. Two Ingebrigtsens were included in that seven.

2. Collapse Details

Rochell Rodgers joined in the Doha Deathmarch Marathon (R), and finished! I take that as a win, as her 35th place out of 40 meant 28 starters did not finish.

Her time of 3:05:12 is likely to remain her slowest championship marathon unless Tokyo pulls something special out of the bag.

In fact, that time is her slowest marathon ever - she has never run over 3 hours. I just hope that finishing the race hasn't damaged any of the runners, physically or psychologically.

3. Collapse Details

So far, there are many low-lights. Hopefully there can still be a high-light or two.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Vault-emort View Post
    So far, there are many low-lights. Hopefully there can still be a high-light or two.
    I agree. Denny might delight.

5. Collapse Details

New #4 and #5 all-timers in w10000m shouldn't be overlooked.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by AS View Post
    I agree. Denny might delight.
    Matthew Denny performed very will in MDT to record 65.08 in Group B of qualifying. This placed him second in that group behind likely winner Daniel Stahl with 67.88. The only other thrower to better Denny's distance was Jamaican Fredrick Dacres with 65.44, the winner in Group A.

It's good that Denny threw up to his best because Mason Finley USA now has the furthest non-qualifying throw ever, with 63.22.

Denny's throw makes it to 32 on the AUS alltime list and is his third best behind 65.37 (Salinas 2016) and 65.28 at this year's Nationals in Sydney.

Given that Khalifa stadium is much more enclosed then either Sydney or the Salinas wind tunnel, I would rate this as instrinsically his best throw ever.

The test will be whether he can back up in the final and hopefully set a new PB.

Earlier this year I reported that he was looking for 67-68 this year. He certainly looks like he has the capacity to deliver on that.

7. Collapse Details

Morgan Mitchell in the W800 set herself up to run a time fast enough to qualify, going out in 58 but finishing in 66 to fade to a 2:04.

I think she has demonstrated the potential to be competitive at this level with a few more years of 800m training under her belt.

She will need to be in a position to be able to run sub-2 in both heats and semis in order to make the final.

Next year will be interesting to see what she can do in Tokyo. The hopefully high standard domestic competition should toughen her up as well.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by AS View Post
    New #4 and #5 all-timers in w10000m shouldn't be overlooked.
    Ellie Pashley (31:18.89) and Sinead Diver (31:25.49) finished 13th and 14th in the W10k final.

Both times were PBs contributing to the 10 PBs out of 20 finishers in the race. They also finished 2nd and 3rd in the 3 competitor Southern Hemisphere competition behind Camille Buscomb of NZ, also with a PB of 31:13.21.

Pashley carved 24.62 seconds of her previous best of 31:43.51 set at the Payton Jordan meet in Palo Alto in May this year.

These are the only two times she has been under 32 and has carved a minute off her pre-2019 best of 32:17.81 set at Melbourne Zatopek at the end of last year. The winner of that race Hitomi Niiya (JPN) finished 11th in the WC.

She has definitely used her marathon training to maximum advantage in the shorter event.

Diver finished on place ahead of Pashley in Melb. Zatopek last year in her then PB of 31:50.98. She trimmed 25.49 seconds off that time in this race. Like Pashley, these are also the only times she has run under 32.

Those 4 performances and three athletes ahead of Pashley and Diver are:

30:37.68 Benita WILLIS-JOHNSON
    31:11.72 Lisa ONDIEKI
    31:14.80 Benita WILLIS-JOHNSON
    31:14.94 Eloise WELLINGS

9. Collapse Details

Not a result per se, but Clare Woods was named in the team for the W50k walk but did not appear on the start list.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro View Post
    Not a result per se, but Clare Woods was named in the team for the W50k walk but did not appear on the start list.
    She was announced as a withdrawal a couple of weeks ago I think.