Facts, Not Fiction

Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Great data El Toro. Any stats on what percentages of the entries made a final?

For example, I'm stunned by the % of men's steeplers. But only Creighton made a final (back in 1993)

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by AS View Post

For example, I'm stunned by the % of men's steeplers. But only Creighton made a final (back in 1993)
    AA has Paul Jenes' data on whole team for medals, top-8 and top-16. His historical work is where I sourced the data.

He hasn't broken it down by event but I can do that with the data I have at the moment but "Top-X placing" doesn't guarantee "Finalists."

Don't forget that not all events have prior rounds, so all entrants are in the "Final" in the walks, marathon, combined events, 10k.

For field events it's 12, so not really the same as the 100m with 8 or 1500 with 15.

Let me know if you are happy with "Top-X" data and what numbers you want for the different events. If you want formal finalists, I will need to do additional work on the data.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by AS View Post

Here's the raw numbers for Top-8 finishers to give you an idea.

Event YearsF YearsM YearsTot
    100m 0 1 1
    200m 3 3 5
    400m 4 3 6
    800m 0 0 0
    1500m 2 2 3
    3000m 0 0
    5000m 0 2 2
    10000m 2 0 2
    Marathon 0 4 4
    100mH 5 5
    110mH 2 2
    400mH 4 0 4
    3000mSt 0 0 0
    10kmW 3 3
    20kmW 2 8 8
    50kmW 0 6 6
    4x100 2 5 5
    4x400m 3 3 5
    LJ 6 6 10
    TJ 0 2 2
    HJ 2 3 4
    PV 3 6 6
    SP 0 2 2
    DT 6 2 7
    HT 3 0 3
    JT 7 2 7
    Heptathlon 3 3
    Decathlon 0 0

One thing to keep in mind is that the "hit rate" table included all team selections, so some of those were DNS/Withdrawn, so may or may not want to be included.

Again, I'd need to code all that along with the round info to correctly calculate the "Finalist" data you were after.

I had planned to get it done before the WC starts but I've had other stuff to do. I'll let you know when it's done.

4. Collapse Details

The MLJ qualifying was not of the highest standard and unfortunately, the Australians lived up to the poor standard with nobody qualifying, althought Frayne was 3cm behind the last qualifier.

This was especially disappointing that this event is one of Australia's most successful in terms of medals/finalists at major championships.

It was also disappointing that the promise shown by Frayne in Europe recently could not be maintained - this was an excellent opportunity for him to place highly.

Group A
    6. Henry Frayne 7.86 (13th)
    12. Henry Smith 7.50 (24th)

Group B
    9. Darcy Roper 7.82 (15th)

5. Collapse Details

McDonald just misses out for the second straight WC - he may have had to longest high-level season of anyone.

6. Collapse Details

The M100 was not a happy hunting ground for Rohan Browning, Australia's sole rep in this event.

He ran a 10.40 (-0.8) in Heat 2 for 6th place just behind Edward Osei-Nketia (NZL) with 10.24. Neither progressed.

There were only 5 guys slower than Browning, only 2 of whom were from the 9 qualifiers from the preliminary round. Of the rest of those 9, 4 beat him on time, 3 DNS. One of those that beat him managed to qualify for the semi-finals.

7. Collapse Details

Morgan Mitchell ran a strong 800m race to finish 3rd in Heat3 with 2:02.13 to grab the last auto Q and edging out Kenyan, Eunice Sum who had to qualify on time.

Catriona Bissett had a disaster in Heat3 finishing well back in last (6/6) with a slow 2:05.33. A similar result for Carley Thomas in Heat6 with a 2:04.65.

This was a disappointing result overall, given the depth and quality of the domestic season. However, Morgan Mitchell looks like she has matured as an 800 runner and her 400m speed may make her the best competitor of them all.

8. Collapse Details

Liz Parnova, who looked like she was ready for further improvement after her 4.60PB in the Oceania PV, had a bad day at the office with a 4.35m clearance. This left her in 28th place overall.

This is a height she first cleared back in 2010 at the age of 16, so she must be disappointed, although it's worth noting that she would have had to equal her PB to make the final.

The venue isn't really an excuse in this case, especially given that 17 (!) vaulters made the Q height of 4.60.

9. Collapse Details

Nicola McDermott 1.89 in GroupB for 15th overall with 12th q taken by Ana Simic with an XO at 1.92 following clean record up to that height. Less clean series meant that other 1.92 clearances were insufficient to progress.

Alysha Burnett was one of only three jumpers in Group A to take 1.70 and the only one to require more than one attempt. She was the only one not to clear 1.80 in her group. Her jumping series was exactly matched by Erika Nonhlanhla Seyama of Swaziland.

10. Collapse Details

Genevieve Gregson ran a fine SB of 9:27.74 in Heat1 of the 3kSteeple to snare a time qualifier and 9th fastest time overall.

Hopefully, she can back up in the final but it's unlikely she will approach her PB of 9:14.28 set in Paris in 2016.

Paige Campbell ran a PB 9.44.80 in Heat 2 but finished 27th overall, nearly 15 seconds behind the last time qualifier, Lalonde of CAN with 9:30.01.

I believe Lalonde's time was the second fastest time for a final time qualifier at WC, behind only Ruth Bosibori KEN with 9:27.04 at the 2007 edition.

In the third and final heat, Georgia Winkcup finished last in 9:50.21 to finish 36th overall out of 42 starters.

Overall, this was a successful outing for the female steeplers with a SB and PB, which is what you want to see at a WC.