Facts, Not Fiction

Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Statement now on AA site: https://www.athletics.com.au/news/at...7-strong-team/

The release notes that previously selected athletes have withdrawn -WMar Melanie Panayiotou QLD (Coach - Dick Telford), WLJ Naa Anang QLD (Gary Bourne)

No mention at all of previously selected,multiple WC medallist discus thrower Dani Stevens (Denis Knowles), who has not thrown since the IAAF Continental Cup one year and one day ago.

Also, PVer Kurtis Marschall WA (Coach?), previously selected, than flagged as withdrawn, was not mentioned either.

Who knows, maybe Stevens and Marschall are dead to AA? I bet AS and Vault-emort know the reasons (and The Shadow of course!).

2. Collapse Details

3. Collapse Details

Naa Anang another noticeable absentee (from both LJ and 4x1). More surprising, given she jumped in Europe last week (very badly though) than Kathryn Mitchell's non-availability.

All I've heard is that Marschall is injured. Unless Malcolm was asked about him, I'm not sure why he would report on Marschall's status. Sort of a journalist's job isn't it?

Best chances on roll-down (am simply assuming availability and AA endorsement):

MLJ Roper (currently #25 of 32, and well ahead of Smith who got in on Oceania Area win)
    MDec Dubler (#21 of 24)
    W400 O'Grady (#44 of 48)
    W800 Thomas (#35 of 48)
    W5000 Diver (#39 of 42) See (#43 of 42)
    W100mH Mucci (#35 of 40) Jenneke (#37 of 40)

Longer shots
    MDec Moloney (#29 of 24)
    MSteeple Stevens (#46 of 45)
    MJT Liam O'Brien (#40 of 32)
    WHJ Burnett (#33 of 32)
    WJT Little (#39 of 32)

4. Collapse Details

No chance for Burnett. IAAF has declined an invite for a 1.91 high jumper from ANT, 1.92 seems to be the cutoff.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    No chance for Burnett. IAAF has declined an invite for a 1.91 high jumper from ANT, 1.92 seems to be the cutoff.
    Given the inevtiably long list of ties at such heights,that does seem sensible.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by AS View Post
    Given the inevtiably long list of ties at such heights,that does seem sensible.
    But they have a tie breaker procedure, it is done by the IAAF world rankings.

7. Collapse Details

Naa Anang another noticeable absentee (from both LJ and 4x1). More surprising, given she jumped in Europe last week (very badly though) than Kathryn Mitchell's non-availability.

All I've heard is that Marschall is injured. Unless Malcolm was asked about him, I'm not sure why he would report on Marschall's status. Sort of a journalist's job isn't it?
    Anang's Euro campaign did seem rather hope-based and that hope probably ran out (assuming no new injury).

In relation to Marschall, the lack of reference was from AA on their website rather than anything Malcom said (or not). I should have been clearer.

Maybe I'm just sensitised to unexplained inconsistencies after having to coordinate a few govt press releases and website updates.

8. Collapse Details

Best chances on roll-down (am simply assuming availability and AA endorsement):
    [snip]
    W400 O'Grady (#44 of 48)
    [snip]
    I was taking a closer look at the list and noticed that "O'Grady" is listed in the W4x400 with no other identifying information.

However, the surname only listings should only be used for athletes selected in another event with their full details. A bit of an unfortunate oversite by AA.

9. Collapse Details

I wonder how far this rolling down will go with Doha being so late and going all that way for a sub par showing and then Tokyo close.

This will be true of all nations and the long season might mean many more have shut it down and won't be able to accept an invite a few weeks out, perhaps less of an issue for relay runners in the sprints but not sure the same for all other events.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by donley2 View Post
    But they have a tie breaker procedure, it is done by the IAAF world rankings.
    Yes, but Antigua asked for an invite based on the fact that they have no qualified female athlete and that would have taken preference over rankings.