Facts, Not Fiction

Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki View Post
    I very much doubt that Matthew Denny’s 2020 target is to beat Harradine’s 9th place at the Olympics. I am pretty sure, without even knowing him, that his target is the medal podium.
    I agree, and I'm sure he also hoped for that this year, as well. In the end, he was only ~1.5m away, so it wouldn't have been an unreasonable dream.

However, he had the lowest PB of anybody in the final - and still does.

The other thing is that you have two 70m throwers who are still likely to be at the top of their game next year (or better) and of the rest, most are on the way up, like Denny.

This is not a transitional time in the event, where a bunch of old farts are on their way out. That's already happened, so he will have to improve his stadium best another 2m to have a chance next year.

Weisshaiding in 3rd place here, had three throws over 66, including two high 66s, and he's thrown 68.14 this year. That's the target standard.

That's not impossible, but it's certainly not easy. The best thing is his consistency, indicating a realiable technical model. If he repeat this year, but at a slightly higher level, he has a good chance to finish higher.

2. Collapse Details

Before Tauriki sidetracked me, I was about to post on how Denny's distance would have placed in recent championships. Of course, wind conditions can still be variable, but it looks like 65.54 will only occasionally (3/8) give you a better result in a big stadium.

2017 5th
    2016 5th
    2015 3rd (Harradine 10th 62.05, Wruck 12th 60.01)
    2013 3rd (Wruck 11th 62.40)
    2012 8th (Harradine 9th 63.59)
    2011 4th (Harradine 6th 64.77)
    2009 6th
    2008 7th

3. Collapse Details

The next step for Oboya is breaking Cathy Freeman's national U20 record of 51.14 from 1992.

4. Collapse Details

I'm counting on Barber being a VERY fast learner and come out in the final with a newfound encyclopedic knowledge of throwing in a virtually indoor stadium.

I'm the only person currently in the top 20 of the Dutch tipping contest with her for gold. It could make or break me!

5. Collapse Details

i see Lauren Wells seems to be back as Lauren Boden in the startlists.

Hopefully Penny Gillies has Steve Solomon in better form than Bella O'Grady for tonight's 400s.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Vault-emort View Post
    i see Lauren Wells seems to be back as Lauren Boden in the startlists.

Hopefully Penny Gillies has Steve Solomon in better form than Bella O'Grady for tonight's 400s.
    The IAAF seems to have never changed her profile name from Boden, so it might be that.

In fact, I'd prefer that all female athletes keep using their original "stage name", just like movie stars (who are much less important).

Yeah, I forgot to mention AA's "Nameless" O'grady. It's not a great advertisement for rolldown selection, although I might try and look at the data before I fully commit to that view.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro View Post
    Yeah, I forgot to mention AA's "Nameless" O'grady. It's not a great advertisement for rolldown selection, although I might try and look at the data before I fully commit to that view.
    She ran really well at UniGames and deserved at least a relay berth but - even though Northerners say 'long season' - it's always longer for ours.

Solomon didn't have the greatest race either. Even if he does get through, there's not much there to hope for.

8. Collapse Details

Well, after Doha, it seems that AA is doing great and we should expect a slew of gold in Tokyo...

I was looking forward to more of El Toro's Doha wraps but seems the heat got too much for him..

And was also looking forward to hearing how Kelsey-Lee gave AS hope in the tipping contest before the rest of his tips dragged him back to the pack

9. Collapse Details

Does anyone know why Catriona Bissett was so far off her earlier season times at Doha?

10. Collapse Details

For some insights into Rohan Browning's Doha frustrations see: https://www.drewsnews.org/blog/in-triumph-and-disaster