Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 401
  1. Collapse Details
     
    Ok, why did they choose 91.44cm for these hurdles and not say 91.00, 92.00 or 91.45 even. WTH?
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by proofs in the pudd'in View Post
    Ok, why did they choose 91.44cm for these hurdles and not say 91.00, 92.00 or 91.45 even. WTH?
    91.44cm = 36 inches
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by reggaeirie1234 View Post
    91.44cm = 36 inches
    Yep, all part of the rich tapestry of history.

    It depends if events were developed or dominated in/by Imperial or metric countries:

    1. hurdles heights obviously formalised in nice round imperial feet and inches (not inches as USAnians are wont to do) -
    • Full strength = 3 1/2 feet = 42 inches = 106.68 cm.
    • Make it a bit lower for the juniors = 3 1/4 feet = 39 inches = 99.06 cm,
    • Make it a bit lower again for U18s = 3 feet = 36 inches = 91.44 cm.


    2. what about 110m? Well, that's the same but a neater conversion, 120 yards = 109.728m. Let's just call that 110 shall we?

    3. Why is a shot 7.26 kilograms - that's because it's 16 pounds

    4. Why is the discus 4.4 lbs - because its exactly 2 kilograms, just like the continentals liked it.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by El Toro View Post
    Yep, all part of the rich tapestry of history.

    It depends if events were developed or dominated in/by Imperial or metric countries:

    1. hurdles heights obviously formalised in nice round imperial feet and inches (not inches as USAnians are wont to do) -
    • Full strength = 3 1/2 feet = 42 inches = 106.68 cm.
    • Make it a bit lower for the juniors = 3 1/4 feet = 39 inches = 99.06 cm,
    • Make it a bit lower again for U18s = 3 feet = 36 inches = 91.44 cm.


    2. what about 110m? Well, that's the same but a neater conversion, 120 yards = 109.728m. Let's just call that 110 shall we?

    3. Why is a shot 7.26 kilograms - that's because it's 16 pounds

    4. Why is the discus 4.4 lbs - because its exactly 2 kilograms, just like the continentals liked it.
    El Toro - Thanks for that - I just didn't think the metric guys who decided (whoever that is) gave a crap about keeping the imperial measurement as an equal length/height/etc. just like you mentioned with the 110mH. They just rounded. Same with the mile - 1609.xxm yet they just say 1600m or not will just go with 1500m Huh! I just don't get why they did not just go 90 or 91 or 92 or 91.50 - anything but this crap 91.44 jeez! I mean if you are going to change it and jettison the inches/feet crap then just round that shit. I want to know the names of these fools who decided this nonsense - JK but I would love to know the decision makers on this and how they decided not to round. That would be an interesting history to our sport.
    Last edited by proofs in the pudd'in; 07-07-2019 at 04:33 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    west of Westeros
    Posts
    61,589
    the "fools" who decided on 91.44 saved those who owned the hundreds of thousands of existing hurdles from having to purchase new ones. Made perfect sense.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    the "fools" who decided on 91.44 saved those who owned the hundreds of thousands of existing hurdles from having to purchase new ones. Made perfect sense.
    Still fools - who made fixed hurdles? Ha, rather than adjustable for all the heights used. Oy vey! And I doubt that any of the hurdles in existence when this was decided are still being used. But maybe I'm wrong.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    west of Westeros
    Posts
    61,589
    you're wrong
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    you're wrong
    Yeah, that's ok I'm still learning but still like you!
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    In the pits
    Posts
    2,631
    This thread seems a good place for a bit of hurdle height controversy...

    Anyway Sasha won the final of his 200m in a windy 20.81 (3.1).

    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Grant Szalek, who has double citizenship, has now opted to compete for Poland at the European U23 Champs.
    I see he is still competing for AUS in the Universiade tonight.
    Last edited by Vault-emort; 07-08-2019 at 02:04 AM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Back in the hometown of Peter Norman
    Posts
    6,174
    Grant Szalek is listed to start in Universiade HJ today competing for Australia. Does this preclude his switch to Poland also?
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •