Facts, Not Fiction

Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Vault-emort View Post
    Also in Sydney, young John Gikas also managed a near 2.5 second PB in the 400m (45.87).
    Becoming only the 9th sub-46 Aussie this decade!!

The others:
    Solomon '11,12,14,16,17,18,19
    Beck '15
    Burns '15
    Steffensen '10,12
    Offereins '10,11,12
    Wroe '10,11
    Milburn '10
    Watkins '10

A drought for sure...especially when compared to previous decade which saw 16 sub-46 performers
    Last edited by AS; 12-04-2019 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Add in comparison to previous decade.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro View Post
    hoping to attract plenty of sprinters looking for fast times over the coming season.
    Well they pretty much come every season. When is the track due to be finished, do you know?

3. Collapse Details

Well they pretty much come every season. When is the track due to be finished, do you know?
    I got the impression that they were expecting more than the usual volume, and Kaan was spinning hard, hoping for a sub-10 time.

Refurb is happening right now and track will stay blue. Last resurface was end of 2013 and previously in mid-2007.
    Last edited by El Toro; 12-07-2019 at 03:37 AM. Reason: add earlier resurface

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro View Post
    I got the impression that they were expecting more than the usual volume, and Kaan was spinning hard, hoping for a sub-10 time.

Refurb is happening right now and track will stay blue. Last resurface was end of 2013 and previously in mid-2007.
    I went out there today to enjoy the bushfire smoke haze and see where the track is at.

Everything seems to be on time, with a new blue track ready for marking and some final surfacing/glue work being done by a couple of guys on the backstraight jumps runup.

If you want some pallet wood for kindling next winter, there's a stack Mondo-delivering pallets in bin.

5. Collapse Details

Haha - I am glad to not have to chop wood for a few months yet.

A few reasonable results from the All-Schools in Perth over the weekend, thought nothing truly outstanding and the wind being painful.

I hope it doesn't signify anything that Sasha Zhoya didn't enter.

6. Collapse Details

Haha - I am glad to not have to chop wood for a few months yet.
    The way things are going, you might only be able to get pre-burnt wood!

7. Collapse Details

I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned that 27.23 N.R with a 56 last lap in Box Hill.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cuban View Post
    I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned that 27.23 N.R with a 56 last lap in Box Hill.
    Made me look!

1 Mcsweyn, Stewart 95 TASMANIA 27:23.80
    2 Tiernan, Patrick 94 QUEENSLAND 27:31.20
    http://athsvic.org.au/wp-content/upl...ll-results.pdf

9. Collapse Details

A very good performance. Our final national record for the decade no doubt. Hopefully a few more to discuss in 2020.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cuban View Post
    AS is supposed to be on AUS distance reporting duty, especially Melbourne venues. I'm surprised he wasn't at the venue because it was the Australian Championships race.

This record jumps McSweyn from 21st at the end of 2018 with his 27:50.89 to 1st, a tidy 27 second drop.

This drops Ron Clarke to 6th performer and 8th performance on the AUS all time list with his former 1965 WR of 27:39.89.

However, the benefit of modern tracks over Clarke's Bislett cinders sets an equivalency target for current athletes of 27:14.89 at the oft quoted 1 second per lap.

Many people consider one second to be too genererous, so a more conservative 0.5 seconds per lap gives an equivalent time of 27:26.39, which puts only two Aussies ahead of Clarke in the last 54 years:

27:23.80 Stewart MCSWEYN Box Hill, Melbourne 14 DEC 2019
    27:24.95 Ben ST. LAWRENCE Palo Alto, CA 01 MAY 2011