Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Collapse Details
    Montgomery Ward Houses
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    One hundred years ago you could order a house from a catalog. I grew up in a Montgomery Ward house built in 1921. Found the catalog with our house in it today.

Last edited by Conor Dary; 01-10-2019 at 04:11 AM.

2. Collapse Details

Montgomery Ward is one business I miss. I bought many items there through the years, and they were good quality at a good price.

That's a nice looking house.

3. Collapse Details

And, last years catalog was a staple in rural pre-WWll outhouses

4. Collapse Details

Our family was more of a Sears bunch for that purpose.

5. Collapse Details

Our two seater outhouse was built circa 1920s to accomodate a family of 13 siblings so we had both Sears and Monkey Ward catalogs..and two boxes of corn cobs, one active, one drying, for serious preliminary cleansing..
    TMI???

6. Collapse Details

There is a neighborhood near downtown NW OKC developed in the 1920s-30s outside the old silk stocking area as the city expanded post WWl, that is heavily populated by MW houses like the two examples ahown. Blighted in the 60s, the area is now gentrified and highly desirable.
    Last edited by lonewolf; 01-10-2019 at 08:29 AM.

7. Collapse Details

Speaking of outhouses, I am reminded of the time circa 1968, enroute to check out the new Prudo Bay discovery, I stayed in a three story log hotel in Whitehorse, YT that had a walkway completely around each floor with a bridge leading to a three story unheated, no plumbing outhouse.. I was staying on the third floor so was not too concerned about it but I never did figure out the architecture of that outhouse...
    Last edited by lonewolf; 01-10-2019 at 08:27 AM.

8. Collapse Details

Sears sold some 70,000 kit homes between 1908 and 1940.
    http://www.arts-crafts.com/archive/k...earskits.shtml
    10,000 to 30,000 pieces were delivered by railcar for assembly.
    We were at a museum in North Platte NE last summer, and I had this sense of deja vu as I stood outside an early home and said when you go inside there will be a staircase to the right, and proceeded to describe where everything was located upstairs and downstairs.
    I found that I was looking at a Sears home that was identical to the one I rented the upstairs in Saratoga Springs 50 years ago. I now see that Sears had models called the Saratoga and the Glens Falls.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Speaking of outhouses, I am reminded of the time circa 1968, enroute to check out the new Prudo Bay discovery, I stayed in a three story log hotel in Whitehorse, YT that had a walkway completely around each floor with a bridge leading to a three story unheated, no plumbing outhouse.. I was staying on the third floor so was not too concerned about it but I never did figure out the architecture of that outhouse...
    Drove by this a couple of years ago.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/two-story-outhouse

Two story outhouse with no access to the second floor.

10. Collapse Details

I assume the Whitehorse outhouse had similar staggered drop zones. It was too cold to linger. Was only there one night then on to Inuvik, NWT and the Grand McKenzie Hotel, a only slightly remodeled WWII two story barracks with flush toilets and legally mandated separate bars for travelers and local natives.
    It was April, 10F, bareheaded Inuit and Indian kids were playing baseball on an improvised field next door wearing sweaters and wind breakers. Curiously, they played the game clockwise, running from home to third base.. could not find anyone for an explanation.
    Last edited by lonewolf; 01-11-2019 at 06:13 AM.