Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Eliud Kipchoge - Beamonesque? No way
    In the front page article Sean Hartlett claims that Eliudís 78 second reduction down to 2:01.39 was a Beamonesque performance.

No way. Not even close.

Beamon improves the long jump record by over 6.5%. Kipchoge reduced the marathon record by 1.07%.

2. Collapse Details

As an interesting aside, Beamon's 8.90 WR stood for 23 years. Powell's 8.95 has now lasted 27 years and counting ...

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki View Post
    In the front page article Sean Hartlett claims that Eliud’s 78 second reduction down to 2:01.39 was a Beamonesque performance.

No way. Not even close.

Beamon improves the long jump record by over 6.5%. Kipchoge reduced the marathon record by 1.07%.
    While I don't think you can really compare percentages between field and track events*. I think a "Beamonesque" performance is something that takes a record into an area that nobody was expecting it to reach for many years. For Kipchoge that would have been something like a 1:59:00.

*It is much easier to run half as fast as Bolt or Kipketer than to throw half as far as Zelezny or, to a lesser extent, jump half as far as Powell.

4. Collapse Details

Beamon's WR was and remains one of a kind. The adjective is Beamonesque and not something else for a reason. I don't think even 8:06.11 is really comparable, though the argument can certainly be made.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LopenUupunut View Post
    Beamon's WR was and remains one of a kind. The adjective is Beamonesque and not something else for a reason. I don't think even 8:06.11 is really comparable, though the argument can certainly be made.
    What is the consensus of opinion as to how far Beamon's jump would have been nonA

6. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
    What is the consensus of opinion as to how far Beamon's jump would have been nonA
    There are probably a thousand threads on that...

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    cynic's dictionary: Beamonesque = wind- and altitude-aided mark that bears no resemblance to reality.

8. Collapse Details

I suspect 2:01:39 is more an Eliudesque performance. Then again you could say 2:15:25 is a Radcliffesque performance. All outer-worldly and worthy of recognition on their own merits.

9. Collapse Details

gh is right about the unreal aspect of Beamon's jump.
    Nevermind the altitude or wind though.
    Even with those advantages Beamon's mark was the only truly astonishing WR in my experience. In the context of October of 1968 29 feet seemed to be not just surprising, it was a distance that I would have thought impossible under any circumstances. Beamonesque.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    cynic's dictionary: Beamonesque = wind- and altitude-aided mark that bears no resemblance to reality.
    Yeah, but how far from reality? Beamon was by far the best LJer in 1968 and was expected to go over 28feet in Mexico City when the WR was 27-4 3/4.