Facts, Not Fiction

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I don't think the problem is the tinkering, it's the tinkering all the time. What would the reaction be if the NFL changed the rules every week? Not going to attract new fans if they have no idea who wins, is in the lead, or even what someone has to do to win.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    twitter post: They are messing with the field events again. Once again we get new rules for jumps and throws. Vertical jumps only get a TOTAL of eight jumps, while the other field events are all elimination crap after three rounds.
    Sacrilege .!!!!

3. Collapse Details

The "elimination crap" has been tried before and I don't find it so offensive. It does help focus attention on the medal contenders in the final rounds, and it does help shorten the meet.

4. Collapse Details

Saw East Germany v USA in 1983. Evenly matched in many events. Unfortunately after the first day I had to leave. Mother had passed away.Nothing like a knock on your motel room at 3 a.m. and a guy yelling: "Death in the family."

5. Collapse Details

But only if the medal contenders play it safe and avoid fouls. You want to see Christian Taylor or Ryan Crouser or any other world class athlete drop out because of one foul? Or play it safe to make certain they don't? Taylor could end up in 4th place despite an 18m jump in the previous round, that's just stupid.

6. Collapse Details

Aha, so my recollection about "McDonaldsization" of this meet was correct after all. Pathetic!
    no cheers,
    Alan Shank
    foggy Bodega Bay, CA, USA

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    But only if the medal contenders play it safe and avoid fouls. You want to see Christian Taylor or Ryan Crouser or any other world class athlete drop out because of one foul? Or play it safe to make certain they don't? Taylor could end up in 4th place despite an 18m jump in the previous round, that's just stupid.
    That's what could have happened under the rules that they used at last year's Continental Cup. But the US vs. Europe rules are different. Results from previous rounds DO carry over to the end.

8. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    I don't think the problem is the tinkering, it's the tinkering all the time. What would the reaction be if the NFL changed the rules every week? Not going to attract new fans if they have no idea who wins, is in the lead, or even what someone has to do to win.
    There are 800 football games on this weekend....so trying attract fans isn't a problem...

Meanwhile in cricket....they tinker constantly....a hugely popular version now is 20 overs cricket which takes 3 hours total.

Most people barely pay attention to the field events anyways...let alone who is in the lead........you could easily have a meet without any field events and 90% of the crowd wouldn't notice....

Everyone I know when they plan to go to a meet like at Hayward the first question is when do the running events start and ignore everything before that....

Also the Hammer Throw at the Trials is a free day....which tells you something....
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 09-07-2019 at 06:58 PM.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Most people barely pay attention to the field events anyways...let alone who is in the lead........you could easily have a meet without any field events and 90% of the crowd wouldn't notice....
    I hope you're wrong about that. I do know that the pole vault is a very popular event among casual fans. Big names (like Carl Lewis or JJK in the long jump, or the current group of shot putters) can also be attractive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Everyone I know when they plan to go to a meet like at Hayward the first question is when do the running events start and ignore everything before that....
    But do they ignore the field events once they're there? I doubt it. I've seen widespread rhythmic applause for jumpers at Hayward, and also applause for throws that are obviously very long.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    That's what could have happened under the rules that they used at last year's Continental Cup.
    But in the end it wasn't as bad as everyone had predicted. Apart from Perkovic, I don't think any of the events was not won by the athlete with the best mark. And several of the best marks were achieved in the final rounds.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...