Facts, Not Fiction

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    Both Levchenko and Lasitskene missed at 2.04; so the streak is over.
    But is it fair to say the streak is over when this HJ format is different than all the other competitions? Would the streak still be alive if she knew going into the comp the format would be traditional?

Along the lines of how PVP views the wPV results.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Fortius19 View Post
    But is it fair to say the streak is over when this HJ format is different than all the other competitions? Would the streak still be alive if she knew going into the comp the format would be traditional?

Along the lines of how PVP views the wPV results.
    While respecting the opinions of pvp and tandfman about the illegitimacy of this competition rules, Lasitskene's result can only be described as an off day for her (three clearances out of 8 attempts), while Levchenko was on fire. Highly unlikely that a traditional format would have changed the standings.

3. Collapse Details

With those splits, surely both Felix and Okolo have secured their places on one of the 4x4's? At least in the heats, and especially with Wimbley apparently injured.
    I can envisage Felix getting a run in the mixed, running a good enough leg to then also be put on the w4x4. She isnt in 48 leg form but her leg here shows she is the most reliable relay runner even when nowhere near in her best individual form. And a sub 50 from Okolo proves her worth.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    to longterm readers of T&FN (and that is this site, obviously), "World Rankings" refers to the T&FN Rankings.

we've never used the terminology of "rankings" for yearly lists.
    Isn't it going to get confusing, once the IAAF (soon to be World athletics) world rankings actually become important?

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    Isn't it going to get confusing, once the IAAF (soon to be World athletics) world rankings actually become important?
    There will need to be a preceding identifier (IAAF or T&FN) on the phrase 'World Rankings', but they are significantly different, and the T&FN ones will continue to be highly relevant. Most cognoscenti will esteem the magazine rankings over the IAAF's flawed algorithm.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    While respecting the opinions of pvp and tandfman about the illegitimacy of this competition rules, . . . .
    I never questioned the legitimacy of the rule.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    There will need to be a preceding identifier (IAAF or T&FN) on the phrase 'World Rankings', but they are significantly different, and the T&FN ones will continue to be highly relevant. Most cognoscenti will esteem the magazine rankings over the IAAF's flawed algorithm.
    The annual rankings worth anything: the Athletics International World Merit Rankings by Peter Matthews, Mel Watman and co.

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    nah... ours will be the World Rankings, theirs the world rankings

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BusterZanga View Post
    The annual rankings worth anything: the Athletics International World Merit Rankings by Peter Matthews, Mel Watman and co.
    D'oh! Shots across the bow.
    On the other hand, I've never even heard of them, here or anywhere, so . . .
    I do, however, highly respect those men as statisticians, so I'm sure they're fine!

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I never questioned the legitimacy of the rule.
    Pardon my mischaracterization of your words.

I meant to say that even considering the strategic impacts of the Minsk vertical jump rules on the competition (which you correctly pointed out goes beyond just a simple jump count), I think Lasitskene's result should count as a loss (and an end to her win streak).