Facts, Not Fiction

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Though I agree with the comments regarding inconsistent open races from Okolo, she's been quite dependable in long relay stints. I would at least expect her to be part of the prelim quartet.

2. Collapse Details

There are heats in both the mixed and single sex relays. Of course Felix will run in the heats of at least one of these. Whether she makes the finals all depends on her performance. But I don’t think there’s any question she’ll run in Doha.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by AFelixFan View Post
    Felix is still figuring out her race model, but good showing from her today.

The way I see it, there are three ladies who are looking like locks on the main 4x4 team, and six others (Felix included) that are question marks/not in significantly better shape than Felix. So maybe her chances of getting on by merit are better than some are giving her credit for. If her upward trend continues (and there's no guarantee that it will) I definitely see her being among the best four by the time Doha rolls 'round.

Which brings me to another problem/disappointment - what an underwhelming w4x4 it looks like we're in store for in Doha!
    Jade Stepter really helped herself by heading over to Europe after the US Championships. She recently improved her season best to 51.18 in Madrid. At the very least, Stepter deserves to be in the conversion for one of the 4x400 relays. I assume they expanded the relay pool with the addition of the mixed relay.

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Stepter didn't make USATF final; end of story.

5. Collapse Details

51.45 to 51.36 over 6 weeks doesn't seem like a steep improvement to me. Felix won't be near under 51 in another month. And I'm assuming they're pretty happy with where she's at a year out from her goal, so not looking to push things.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Stepter didn't make USATF final; end of story.
    "Relays

For the men’s and women’s 4x100 meter and 4x400 meter relays, up to six (6) athletes may be entered as members of each relay pool. The four (4) athletes (including the alternate) entered in the respective individual events (100m and 400m) are required by IAAF rules to be included in each pool. For each relay pool, in addition to the four athletes listed above, there will be two (2) athletes selected. Selection of the two additional athletes will be done by the USATF Head Relay Coach, in consultation and cooperation with the respective 2019 World Championships Head Coach or his/her designee, USATF’s Chief of Sport Performance, and one non-competing athlete selected by USATF’s Athletes Advisory Committee who has World Championship and/or Olympic experience in the 4x100m or 4x400m relays.
    Mixed Relay

For the 4 x400 meter mixed relay pool, two (2) additional male and two (2) additional female athletes will be selected. Selection of the four additional athletes will be done by the USATF Head Relay Coach, in consultation and cooperation with the respective 2019 World Championships Head Coach or his/her designee, USATF’s Chief of Sport Performance, and one non-competing athlete selected by USATF’s Athletes Advisory Committee who has World Championship and/or Olympic experience in the relays.

In order to be eligible for the relay pool, an athlete must compete in the Selection Event, except in emergency situations where a waiver, based on medical or exceptional circumstances, may be given by USATF, in its sole discretion."

Looks like there is no requirement for the two discretionary picks to have a certain placing to be eligible. I could be wrong, though.

7. Collapse Details

If they follow their usual practice, USATF will nominate the 4 individual runners plus two who are not entered in any individual event, which means the effective pool is larger than 6, because they can still use Muhammad and McLaughlin (and anyone else competing in another individual event).

Also, there is no longer a limit on changing the lineup between heats and final, so they can use a whole different quartet in the first round to the one doing the final. That would increase Felix's chances of actually running in Doha.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by schigh View Post
    51.45 to 51.36 over 6 weeks doesn't seem like a steep improvement to me. Felix won't be near under 51 in another month. And I'm assuming they're pretty happy with where she's at a year out from her goal, so not looking to push things.
    I doubt she would be doing all these September meets if she didn't want to prove something to the selectors.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post

Looks like there is no requirement for the two discretionary picks to have a certain placing to be eligible. I could be wrong, though.
    I wasn't suggesting there was a rule on who gets picked, but traditionally I believe the relay pool is named (even if not made public) shortly after the meet, and people who don't make finals simply don't get picked that I can think of.

I keep forgetting, though, about the addition of the mixed relay.

10. Collapse Details

Can't believe we are talking about w400 "getting under 51" when 35 years ago there were 4 finishers in LA UNDER 50 and 7 under 51....with no Eastern Euros present.