Facts, Not Fiction

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Michaelson View Post
    Weird stat in the men's long jump. Top 3 all had a best jump of 8.17, winner Damarcus Simpson won because he had two of them!

https://www.european-athletics.org/c...2.html#or-athd
    Weird but not uncommon. I have seen jumpers have four identical jumps, four way ties among competitors and ties to fourth tie breaker between two competitors.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    EA made a big deal of the European team outfits on Twitter, so WTF couldn't they provide matching outfits to the whole team? In the w3000, two of the European competitors were wearing something very different from the other two. In the m1500, all Europeans had the same jerseys, but two had different colored shorts.
    They may have made a big deal of their outfits, but apparently not big enough to get an apparel sponsor to stick their logo on it.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    They may have made a big deal of their outfits, but apparently not big enough to get an apparel sponsor to stick their logo on it.
    Apparently they're made by a Belorussian company, not any of the major international ones.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

4. Collapse Details

Unless I somehow missed it, no one mentioned the 63.71 PB for Tausaga, which is also a Tokyo auto qualifier.

5. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    At one point during the race she got left so far behind I thought she pulled a muscle and was giving up. Turns out it was just a tactic.

So does this race put her in contention for a place on the US 4x4 in Doha?

51.36(2nd to Jonathas) doesnt move Felix ahead of any of the women ahead of her from the USATF 400. Plus Francis and the 400 hurdlers.

So on merit, no, it does not.
    There are no strings on me

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    51.36(2nd to Jonathas) doesnt move Felix ahead of any of the women ahead of her from the USATF 400. Plus Francis and the 400 hurdlers.

So on merit, no, it does not.
    I would be interested to know what the criteria is for Felix getting on the 4x400 or mixed relay. Her circumstance is unique in that she is coming back from pregnancy. Felix is definitely going in the right direction, while a few others have not since US Championships in July. One would think that Felix helped her cause by convincingly beating Okolo on Monday. IMO, we will see Felix on one of the 4x400 relays in Doha.

7. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by TWalsh View Post
    IMO, we will see Felix on one of the 4x400 relays in Doha.

I agree. Not because she necessarily deserves it based on form, but because she's Felix(similar to what happened with Richards-Ross in 2015).
    There are no strings on me

8. Collapse Details

Felix is still figuring out her race model, but good showing from her today.

In regards to her qualifying for the 4x4 team by merit, I think it's a war against attrition. Five women beat Felix to the finish line at the US nationals. Then you have McLaughlin and Muhammad who have the flat speed to make the shortlist, and, finally, the defending champ, Francis. So let's take a look at the EIGHT women ahead of her on paper.

Wimbley - injured three days ago, so her Doha status is questionable.
    Ellis - has run 51.21 and 51.92 since her second place finish in Des Moines. Will she be back down to 50.3x in Doha? Question mark here.
    Jonathas - had a long collegiate season. What kind of shape will she be in Doha? Another question mark here.
    Okolo - inconsistent performer, and Felix just beat her in their latest head-to-head.
    Beard - their SBs are similar (51.28 vs. 51.36) and I don't think anyone is putting someone ahead of Felix (on a relay, no less) with a less than a singular tenth-of-a-second SB advantage.
    McLaughlin - she'll be on the 4x4 squad if she wants to.
    Muhammad - she'll be on the 4x4 squad if she wants to.
    Francis - her place on the 4x4 squad is pretty secure, barring any unforeseen circumstances.

The way I see it, there are three ladies who are looking like locks on the main 4x4 team, and six others (Felix included) that are question marks/not in significantly better shape than Felix. So maybe her chances of getting on by merit are better than some are giving her credit for. If her upward trend continues (and there's no guarantee that it will) I definitely see her being among the best four by the time Doha rolls 'round.

Which brings me to another problem/disappointment - what an underwhelming w4x4 it looks like we're in store for in Doha!

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AFelixFan View Post
    Jonathas - had a long collegiate season. What kind of shape will she be in Doha? Another question mark here....
    "long" collegiate season consisted of all of 6 outdoor meets.

Ran 51.01 to win in Minsk, her fourth-fastest time ever, just 0.57 off her PR. I see no Q-mark on her at all.

10. Collapse Details

Even Obi Igbokwe ran an almost 400m PR in the DL final. Long NCAA season is super relative in various aspects.