Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 208
  1. Collapse Details
     
    It's hard to be sure about who was affected. Some jumpers/vaulters could have come in at higher starting heights than they might otherwise have chosen to, and the rule also could have affected their jump/pass strategy during the competition.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,692
    So what do these quality marks do for Hill's and Nedasekau's chances in Doha?
    Nothing? Everything?
    The mHJ is such a mess, Ned may have just jumped (pun!) into the favorite's role.
    Hill still stuck behind Crouser, Romani and Walsh?
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    Weird stat in the men's long jump. Top 3 all had a best jump of 8.17, winner Damarcus Simpson won because he had two of them!

    https://www.european-athletics.org/c...2.html#or-athd
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    NBC's explanation for the reason Sandra Perkovic is struggling so much in 2019 is because of the long season, and she has a bye into the WC, being the defending champion. No mention of Perkovic being out injured for eight months, and zero mention of her rigorous rehab to get back into competition shape.
    IMO, it's another case of not doing your homework. Meanwhile, the announcers keep mispronouncing the same names week in and week out.
    Last edited by TWalsh; 09-09-2019 at 09:33 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    16,016
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    So what do these quality marks do for Hill's and Nedasekau's chances in Doha?
    Nothing? Everything?
    The mHJ is such a mess, Ned may have just jumped (pun!) into the favorite's role.
    Hill still stuck behind Crouser, Romani and Walsh?
    Hill is too inconsistent to be considered a medal favorite. He's had occasional big marks in previous seasons as well. Not saying it would be a huge shock if he got a medal, but I would still stick with the three you listed.

    Nedasekau, OTOH, is a big time performer, and I would seriously consider him in my predictions after today, although the event is still wide open.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    23,361
    I do not think some of the 'new' approaches lead to particularly good marks; that is a sure sign that they are bad. Making the comment that only diehards watch the field events would lead me to conclude listen to the diehards.

    Putting tight restrictions on the vertical jumps means that a higher proportion of the jumps will be misses - yea, that is fun all around. And in the pole vault, the athletes are continually calibrating what works in the 4 dimensions of the event, plus the external factors.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    It's hard to be sure about who was affected. Some jumpers/vaulters could have come in at higher starting heights than they might otherwise have chosen to, and the rule also could have affected their jump/pass strategy during the competition.
    Agreed. I was just listing those who were denied attempts that, under normal rules, they would have had.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    16,016
    EA made a big deal of the European team outfits on Twitter, so WTF couldn't they provide matching outfits to the whole team? In the w3000, two of the European competitors were wearing something very different from the other two. In the m1500, all Europeans had the same jerseys, but two had different colored shorts.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    16,016
    Quote Originally Posted by TWalsh View Post
    NBC's explanation for the reason Sandra Perkovic is struggling so much in 2019 is because of the long season, and she has a bye into the WC, being the defending champion. No mention of Perkovic being out injured for eight months, and zero mention of her rigorous rehab to get back into competition shape.
    Speaking of Perkovic, she's still inconsistent in her series, but she finally got it right in the final round. She's definitely rounding into shape, and with her big-meet pedigree, I'd say she's got a pretty good of defending her title in Doha.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    west of Westeros
    Posts
    61,579
    Quote Originally Posted by steveu View Post
    Anyone see why the U.S. steeplers Bor and Ferlic got DQ'd?
    DQs ended up reversed
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •