Facts, Not Fiction

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Article mistakenly has Mondo at 6.00 ( he cleared 5.85)

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    what article?

3. Collapse Details

Given how many times I've seen statements on this board about team competitions being the the only way to save T&F, it's strange how little excitement and how much bitching there is in this thread. Personally I thought it was a very enjoyable two days worth of high-quality T&F, even if 'The Match' itself wasn't much of a contest with the sub-par US team.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Given how many times I've seen statements on this board about team competitions being the the only way to save T&F, it's strange how little excitement and how much bitching there is in this thread. Personally I thought it was a very enjoyable two days worth of high-quality T&F, even if 'The Match' itself wasn't much of a contest with the sub-par US team.
    Having never hyped the team aspect (it's an INDIVIDUAL sport - exc relays), I can easily express my dissatisfaction of the meet. It was a Euro B team against a USA C team. All you had to do was look at the fields, and you could see it was just a mid-tier GP-style meet. The US-USSR meets of the 60s were must-see team meets! Unless you're going to commit the top stars to it (good luck), fuggedaboudit.

5. Collapse Details

I thought most comments were positive about the meet, even if it was not focused on the team scoring. I found myself interested in the team score, and think that even if the US had more stars on the squad it would still be a compelling team competition, with a pretty tight score.

It may not have the drama of a Cold War era US-USSR tilt, but it has potential.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    The US-USSR meets of the 60s were must-see team meets! Unless you're going to commit the top stars to it (good luck), fuggedaboudit.
    I strongly disagree with this. If the athletes get paid, get some valuable international experience, absolutely keep doing it if it is remotely sustainable.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BusterZanga View Post
    The annual rankings worth anything: the Athletics International World Merit Rankings by Peter Matthews, Mel Watman and co.
    Easily the best of the bunch!

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by donley2 View Post
    I strongly disagree with this. If the athletes get paid, get some valuable international experience, absolutely keep doing it if it is remotely sustainable.
    I agree with that; anything that gets people paid and gives the almost-world-class some int'l experience (esp. the Amis) is good, but I meant from a fan's perspective (OK, MY perspective), it was not anywhere near as enjoyable as any of the DLs.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Easily the best of the bunch!
    If you study them side by side with the TFNews ones there is a huge amount of agreement.

10. Collapse Details

The US/Europe meet was interesting, well presented and we got to see some different athletes who tried hard but I question if the outcome would have been so lopsided if both teams had fielded their absolutely best in each event..., otoh, don't know if the US could have overcome the European field event superiority.