Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    How will he do when he is at least matched physically by opposing players.
    There are very few 6-7/285 guys in college with a 45" vert . . . or the pros. There are many ways he could flame-out in college, but physically he has few peers.

2. Collapse Details

6-7/285 does not make for longevity with that much force coming down from height, with feet to sprain/break ankles. I would guess that they would want him to shed some pounds (but what do I know). If he can't do much shooting over players 100 pounds and 5 inches shorter then he has not been learning those skills. However, maybe the 'highlight' reel nature of the video might mean that they did not bother filming normal shooting very much.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Check it out . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYnpO03crr8

How is he NOT better than LeBron was in HS?!
    He's not even considered the best freshman on his own team. He's not as good as LeBron was coming out of HS.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    Looks like hes going to be some heavily armored version of Magic Johnson, all the same moves but with 70 extra pounds of muscle.
    Don't you think Lebron James is a more apt comparison?

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    Can this guy shoot ?
    Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    I only saw some modest-range pull-up jumpers, probably all uncontested, along with a bunch of dunks that are against high school kids looking like high school kids. How will he do when he is at least matched physically by opposing players.
    As gh and Dr Jay indicated, his performance against Kentucky (certainly not chopped liver) was pretty awesome, including some longer shots and one block-fast break-assist transition (1:02 of the video linked below) that says volumes about his skill and athleticism.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25201350

I have read that his shot mechanics need some polishing, but the LeBron comparisons clearly stem from the "unstoppable" factor.

6. Collapse Details

Ya know, I'm about as Duke-ified as you can be - college degree, medical degree, ortho residency, former team doctor. But please, let's not anoint them yet as the GOAT of CBB. Saw on ESPN the other night the discussion of if they would go undefeated.

This was one game. Agreed, they looked incredible, but its one game. Its a long season. Injuries can happen. They are 18-19 yo kids. Who knows what will happen?

But it sure was fun kicking Kentucky's ass. Sorry, DrJay

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Ya know, I'm about as Duke-ified as you can be - college degree, medical degree, ortho residency, former team doctor. But please, let's not anoint them yet as the GOAT of CBB. Saw on ESPN the other night the discussion of if they would go undefeated.

This was one game. Agreed, they looked incredible, but its one game. Its a long season. Injuries can happen. They are 18-19 yo kids. Who knows what will happen?
    A few years ago, when Kentucky looked similarly loaded and playing well at the beginning of the season, a reporter asked John Calipari if they would go undefeated and he pointed out that any team is susceptible to a team "going bananas" on them, a la Villanova-Georgetown. Even when you have the best talent in the country, it still takes some luck to play 40 games without slipping on a banana peel or running into a team that's caught lightning in a bottle.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    A few years ago, when Kentucky looked similarly loaded and playing well at the beginning of the season, a reporter asked John Calipari if they would go undefeated and he pointed out that any team is susceptible to a team "going bananas" on them, a la Villanova-Georgetown. Even when you have the best talent in the country, it still takes some luck to play 40 games without slipping on a banana peel or running into a team that's caught lightning in a bottle.
    And I think that banana peel was Wisconsin in the 2015 Final Four semi for KY's first loss. Thank you Badgers, as my Blue devils then won it all 2 days later.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I agree that a slip up can occur but the striking thing about Duke vs Kentucky was that they played the game more as a unit than one might expect at this point in the season and certainly Kentucky has done in the past. With all of the attention on Williamson, he wasn't the best player on the court.

Duke even has a "dirt dog" type in Jack White which comes in handy when shots aren't falling.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    With all of the attention on Williamson, he wasn't the best player on the court.
    That's an opinion not shared by all. Just because Barrett outscored Williamson 33-28 doesn't mean Williamson didn't have the biggest impact on the game, which, from the reports I read, he (W) did.

Quote Originally Posted by Sports Illustrated
    Zion Williamson's 28 points came in just 23 minutes of action, and he missed just two of 13 attempts from the field. Altogether, he posted the highest offensive rating (164) of anyone on either side in the game
    If ZW was the best in THAT game, I think he's definitely already established his value in the NCAA at large. (Tho 1 game does not a star make).
    Last edited by Atticus; 11-09-2018 at 10:01 PM.