Facts, Not Fiction

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    But were those stats built primarily on how much Zion contributes individually and how he anchors the whole defense?
    Yes, correct, but remember, Zion has missed most of 4 games already - hit in the eye earlier in the year and missed about a half, the Carolina game, and the last 2 games. They're still #5 overall in kenpom defense efficiency. I'm not saying he's not critical but I don't think they're as bad as NotDutra was pointing out. Tre Jones is a defensive stud and a lot of people also think Cam Reddish is also. And on the interior Bolden and DeLaurier have had a lot of blocks per minute of action.

2. Collapse Details

Duke surely missed Zion against UNC. He probably would have contained Luke Maye. As it was, Maye became only the second player ever to score 30 and rebound 15 against a #1 ranked team. The first was Elvin Hayes (Houston) in the 1968 "Game of the Century" vs. UCLA and Lew Alcindor:

https://www.dailynews.com/2018/01/19...0-years-later/

3. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    I remember that game well...

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Indiana might be slightly different because of Indiana high school basketball.... and that other than the Colts there is really nothing in the state.
    Hmm. . . . I know some Irish fans who would beg to differ.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    I would agree - I think there's a definite Mount Rushmore of college basketball over the last 50 years and that is Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, and Kentucky.

Each has had a few off years in the past 50 but not many - Duke was not good for about 6 years in the 1970s. Carolina had the Matt Doherty era. Kentucky had that stretch in the late 80s early 90s with Eddie Sutton before they brought in Pitino to buy them more titles (sorry, couldn't resist). I don't remember Kansas being all that strong in the 1980s and before Bill Self. Still, UCLA has had more bad years than good ones in the past couple decades. I know there was the stretch with Larry Brown and a few good years with Ben Howland but the bad has outweighed the good. Never was sure why they got rid of Howland.
    Kansas won the National Championship in 1988. Made the Final Four in 1986. They beat and lost to Duke respectively in those Final Fours.

6. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Hmm. . . . I know some Irish fans who would beg to differ.
    Yes they are popular...but mostly graduates....some Catholics....but not really a state thing.....like a Ohio State thing...or Indiana basketball... in the Chicago area and folks in Indiana the school gets mixed emotions....the only ones I know who support ND went there....

ND seems like a school that could be in the Mojave Desert and not be different...

Meanwhile the Colts are very popular state wide.

7. Collapse Details

I grew up liking both UL and UK, 1970-1980, maybe favoring whoever was best at the moment. I did not realize that to like one, you were supposed to hate the other. That all became irrelevant after a couple of UNC games fall 1980.

8. Collapse Details

Duke barely escapes Wake Forest. KU getting shelled by Oklahoma. UK has its hands full with Ole Miss midway through the second half. It's anybody's tournament this year.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    Duke barely escapes Wake Forest. KU getting shelled by Oklahoma. UK has its hands full with Ole Miss midway through the second half. It's anybody's tournament this year.
    Duke was pathetic last night. I was embarrassed for them. Worst I've seen them play in the last 2 decades.

10. Collapse Details

Caught the tail end on Sports Center this a.m. saying some informal poll still has Duke beating UNC this Saturday. UVA may well win the ACC regular season and tourney again this year. But my college roomie, longtime observer of college basketball, insists their style of play will never win the whole enchilada. Exhibit #1: First round loss to U of Maryland-Baltimore County a year ago.