Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I've not seen anything on his social media; his last tweet was 6 days ago, and his last instagram post was 2 days ago, but was a paid partnership advert effectively. He did like Schippers post on Instagram, but not seen anything else.

Adam Gemili has posted something about not pandering to those who don't believe in him, and he only needs to satisfy his own ambitions.

Shara Proctor has also been quiet on social media but doenst often post. In the last two days she's posted a link on twitter to British AOY voting and an article on her home country Anguilla.

Desiree Henry has posted some stuff about her being on a famous BBC sports quiz. She did post today a nice pic and a caption "There are only 2 options....make progress or make excuses....I choose progress"

Tianna Bartoletta, a prolific tweeter, doesn't appear to have tweeted anything about the subject too.

So, it seems the team are being very quiet. I wonder whether any of them are the 5 that will be going to train in Turkey as per the above article.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriella2 View Post
    A good article from the Dutch press yesterday, giving more context and asking the right questions:

Was the departure of Rana Reider unexpected?
    For the Athletics Union certainly, because he had an ongoing contact and always showed that he was satisfied with the working conditions in the Netherlands. On the other hand, he has had a critical evaluation of the past season. Schippers in particular performed disappointingly, with missed European titles at both 100 and 200 meters, which is also due to Reider. No doubt about the difficult home situation as a reason for Reider's departure, but that the disappointing season of Schippers has strengthened his decision, can not be ruled out. It is striking that the sprintster herself responded to the break via Twitter and Instagram. 'I thank Rana for our cooperation and wish him well in the future.' That is it; pretty emotionless. No sign of torment about his farewell. And no trace of willingness to follow Reider to Florida.

Is there an explanation for Schippers' relapse under Reider?
    Schippers became World Champion again in the 200 meters under Reider in 2017, a major achievement. But there were also doubts about his approach. Reider, unlike Bennema, emphasizes strength instead of suppleness. That approach did not seem to work at Schippers, which remained far removed from its top times. But what was especially noticeable was the lack of acceleration on the last 50 meters, previously its main weapon.

How to proceed? Is it known who will become her new trainer?
    For the time being she returns under the care of Bennema. According to the Athletics Union, this month during a training camp in Turkey for Schippers and the five others from the Reider group a definitive solution is sought. This is what Charles van Commenée, the new head coach at the union, is doing at first instance. There are two obvious options: a reunification with Bennema or a transition to Rogier Ummels, national coach of the sprint talents. A departure abroad seems excluded. Schippers is also too attached to her family and the Netherlands for that.

Is their return to Bennema real after their break in 2017?
    Apparently not, partly because Bennema reported last summer at the European Championships in Berlin in NRC - without explanation, of course: "I would find that a very bad plan." But there is no question of a renewed cooperation either. Both the Schippers camp and Bennema state, on request, that a reunification is "negotiable". But then especially at Bennema repair work will have to be done. He was deeply disappointed in the break with Schippers, especially in the role played by Reider. Bennema felt strongly that the American had tricked the athlete away from him. The great advantage of a renewed collaboration: both know each other through and through.
    Thanks for sharing, fascinating to see this played out in such detail in the press if I am reading this correctly.

I assumed that they dialled things down in 2018 so wasn't expecting fireworks and in fairness, she'd need to be in top form to have beaten DAS as 10.85 and 21.89 isn't playing.

The additional weight from the strength work was noticeable and sometimes that doesn't translate to power and speed on the track. How you 'undo' that work is an interesting challenge but the change of scene always helps.

What I think also helps is how Samuel's her Dutch teammate has come on and will I assume provide decent challenge in training.

3. Collapse Details

Just an update on the Schippers coaching situation. Or rather, the latest discussions in the Dutch press. It seems they - the press - have ruled out Dafne moving overseas, again suggesting she is too much of a home bod. Also, as the Dutch federation pays for her coaching, they also suggested that she would not be used to paying for her coach, unlike athletes from some other countries. So they've ruled her out moving to any big overseas training group, and it's down to whether anyone would move to the Netherlands - doubtful, as why would they if already established with athletes elsewhere? - or whether there is anyone with the skills and knowledge currently working in the Netherlands.

Enter Henk Kraaijenhof. Now, this is only a rumour and small possibility at the moment, but it could be interesting. He used to coach Nelli Cooman and Merlene Ottey for years, and was partly attributed with Ottey's long time at the top, due to his training methods. He now coaches Cooman's daughter, but does a lot of training talks and presentations. He has given his views on Schippers in the recent past, on what she could achieve and how he would train her differently to Reider. He is based in the Netherlands and even though now aged 62, remains active in the athletics scene as I say. It may come down to Charles Van Commenee's influence and what he can agree.

4. Collapse Details

and even though now aged 62, remains active in the athletics scene
    I am sure a number of posters on this board are wondering if they will still be active when they turn 62.

5. Collapse Details

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Master403 View Post
    I am sure a number of posters on this board are wondering if they will still be active when they turn 62.
    My impression is most of the people on these boards have kids who are older than that
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

7. Collapse Details

Henk Kraaijenhof is a fiercely indepent minded person who I can't imagine working in a hierarchical setup under a head coach at a national training center. Plus hasn't coached on the international level since 2001.

What do you reckon the chances are for a non-dutch coach, who'll likely have his/her own group at the moment, coming to the Netherlands?
    Reider came in 2014 only under extraordinary circumstances, being forced out by UK athletics.

8. Collapse Details

.....Enter Henk Kraaijenhof. ...... He has given his views on Schippers in the recent past, on what she could achieve and how he would train her differently to Reider. ........
    Gabriella, further detail on this would be appreciated. That's if you have it, or can link to it.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MDelano View Post
    If Bennema and Schippers were eager to work together again and commit for another olympic cycle we would have known by now. They're both based at the same training center and the federation would undoubtly support it.

But Schippers, despite phenomenal results, essentially dumped him in favor of Reider, which must have left some scars with Bennema. One can imagine that this relationship requires some mending.
    It's apparently been mended. It sez here that she is going back to Bennema.

https://trackalerts.com/Articles/sch...r-coach/112815

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    It's apparently been mended. It sez here that she is going back to Bennema.

https://trackalerts.com/Articles/sch...r-coach/112815
    Nope. She was just describing the temporary arrangement in the interview, which we already knew of.

Meanwhile Kraaijenhof has given an interview in the Dutch press:
    https://www.ad.nl/andere-sporten/kra...root~a2bb0b71/

Does not expect to be offered the job and isn't sure he would want it.
    Makes some sensible comments about the situation. Worthwhile to run through an online machine translation.