Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Rupp foot surgery
    Here is why Rupp didn't run better in Chicago. It's amazing he still managed to run 2:06.

https://www.oregonlive.com/trackandf...rt_river_index

2. Collapse Details
    Rupp foot surgery
    Front-page link. Possibly the beginning of the end for Galen.

3. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    Front-page link. Possibly the beginning of the end for Galen.

Yep, 30 years in the orthotic biz and I can tell you that's going to be a tough one to put in the rearview mirror for a guy like him.
    There are no strings on me

4. Collapse Details

Why is this going to be very hard going forward. The surgery should diminish the problems with Haglund's Deformity and the achilles should heal, I would think.

5. Collapse Details

It may diminish his problem. But not everybody fully recovers from Haglund heel surgery. In a professional long-distance runner he is at high risk to have problems because of the stress he puts on this area. I think we may not see him run competitively until next fall. At his age, in his 30s, losing a year could be critical. Hope I'm wrong.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    It may diminish his problem. But not everybody fully recovers from Haglund heel surgery. In a professional long-distance runner he is at high risk to have problems because of the stress he puts on this area. I think we may not see him run competitively until next fall. At his age, in his 30s, losing a year could be critical. Hope I'm wrong.
    But most people don't have access to Nike's state of the art facilities or their professional staffs. I know he is not in his 20s any more, but he is still in a better position to recover from this than almost any one else.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TN1965 View Post
    But most people don't have access to Nike's state of the art facilities or their professional staffs. I know he is not in his 20s any more, but he is still in a better position to recover from this than almost any one else.
    You seem to have a better opinion of professional staffs on the ability of the body to heal than I do. Remember, "God (i.e., your body) heals and the doctor (or other HCP) sends the bill."

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    You seem to have a better opinion of professional staffs on the ability of the body to heal than I do. Remember, "God (i.e., your body) heals and the doctor (or other HCP) sends the bill."
    The difference is not in the healing, but in maintaining and recovering fitness. Most people, including MDs, have no clue about how to rehab sports injuries.

I think the people who are working with Rupp know it better than almost anyone else. Most importantly, they probably know what not to do, which most people don't know.

9. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by TN1965 View Post
    The difference is not in the healing, but in maintaining and recovering fitness. Most people, including MDs, have no clue about how to rehab sports injuries.

I think the people who are working with Rupp know it better than almost anyone else. Most importantly, they probably know what not to do, which most people don't know.
    They said that too about Salazar 30 odd years ago...

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    They said that too about Salazar 30 odd years ago...
    Well, I think Salazar as a coach is very different from Salazar as an athlete. I think he has learned from mistakes he made as an athlete and is trying to make sure that his athletes would not make the same mistake.

One of the most common mistakes an injured athlete makes is to get overanxious about their return to training. Salazar the runner was a perfect example of that. Salazar the coach, on the other hand, seems far more methodical, and so is Rupp.

On top of that, the amount of knowledge that Nike staffs have about injury rehabilitation should far exceed what people knew 30 years ago.