Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Olympic Century Book Collection
    I have a set of Olympic Century , Vol. `1-24, covering Winter and Summer Olympics, Ancient thru 1996.
    I do not recall if I acquired them all at once or sequentially. I have duplicates for Vols 8 (Paris 1924),11 (Berlin 1936), 16 (Tokyo 1964), 17 (Mexico City 1968), 18,(Munich 1972) 21(Los Angeles 1984). Curiously, I am missing Vol. 2.

They are copyrighted by IOC, USOC and WSRP with random copyright dates from 1996-2000.Volumes have different Editors.

The phone numbers for Publisher and Customer Service printed in the books are no longer valid. Does anyone know if the series has been updated for 2000, 2004, 2008, 2012, 2016 Olympics?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    I have a set of Olympic Century , Vol. `1-24, covering Winter and Summer Olympics, Ancient thru 1996.
    I do not recall if I acquired them all at once or sequentially. I have duplicates for Vols 8 (Paris 1924),11 (Berlin 1936), 16 (Tokyo 1964), 17 (Mexico City 1968), 18,(Munich 1972) 21(Los Angeles 1984). Curiously, I am missing Vol. 2.

They are copyrighted by IOC, USOC and WSRP with random copyright dates from 1996-2000.Volumes have different Editors.

The phone numbers for Publisher and Customer Service printed in the books are no longer valid. Does anyone know if the series has been updated for 2000, 2004, 2008, 2012, 2016 Olympics?
    No, it never was updated, lonewolf. And of the original series, one volume was never published. Can't say offhand which one as we are in NH, and my Olympic library is mostly down at Hilton Head, including my Olympic Century collection.

The reason it was not updated was the main driver behind the series, Gary Allison, died shortly after publication of the main set of volumes. I was a consultant to him for the statistics and the results. There was another guy who was Gary's right-hand man (blanking on the name) but he chose to pursue options in Hollywood. They were both based out of LA and when I went out to meet with them always stayed right in Hollywood, next to Grauman's Chinese Theatre.

It was a pretty good series. Gary got a lot of money behind it to back it, but I doubt those guys ever got their money back.

3. Collapse Details

Thanks, bam. I guess I have the complete set.. would like to see an update. very attractive and informative books...I could probably get some of Double R Bar's puzzles by referring to them.... but, to quote someone famous, " that would be wrong."

4. Collapse Details

I have 5 volumes of that series. I failed to pay attention and it folded before I could get the rest.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pego View Post
    I have 5 volumes of that series. I failed to pay attention and it folded before I could get the rest.
    I think you can still find them on Amazon. I haven't checked recently

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pego View Post
    I would be glad to send my duplicates to anyone who needs/wants them.

7. Collapse Details

http://www.olympicbooks.com/

Looks like they're all available and they are doing more.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post

That's a shock, but I'd be very surprised if they're really doing more. Its been about 15 years since the series first came out (early 2000s), and as I said, Gary Allison is dead and his second-in-line left to do something else. I have no idea who is doing anything with this now but I'll be very surprised if anything else comes out.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    That's a shock, but I'd be very surprised if they're really doing more.
    I visited that website too and share the same doubt that they are doing more. Although the site is dated 2017, the "Coming Soon" volumes are listed as expected to be available in 2016 and 2017.
    Vol 25 - Sydney 2000, Salt Lake City 2002 - Coming 2016
    Vol 26 - Athens 2004, Turin 2006 - Coming 2016
    Vol 27 - Beijing 2008, Vancouver 2010 - Coming 2017
    Vol 29 - London 2012, Sochi 2014 - Coming 2017

10. Collapse Details

Sumthin screwy with that ad.. intro sez books $34.95 each, $800 for set yet all listed at $7.95 each, $125 for 24 vol set. I have them all except Athens 1896.

I wonder why London 2012 is Vol 29 instead of Vol 28?