Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    50 Years Ago Today - Smith and Carlos
    I'm sure folks who post here are already familiar with the details, but I feel compelled to note that 50 years ago today, one of the most iconic photos of the 20th century was taken at the Summer Olympics in Mexico City when 200m gold medalist Tommie Smith and 200m bronze medalist John Carlos, raised their black-gloved fists while standing barefoot on the medal stand while the U.S. national anthem was being played to protest racial oppression in the U.S,, South Africa and Rhodesia. As a result of their protest, IOC President Avery Brundage immediately had Smith and Carlos removed from the U.S. Olympic team and kicked out of the Olympic Village. In 2005, after enduring years of backlash and repercussions at home, San Jose State University, their alma mater, dedicated a statue on campus to honor them. Overshadowed was the fact that Smith set a WR and became the first man in history to run sub-20. Another little known fact is that 200m silver medalist Peter Norman wore an Olympic Project for Human Rights badge in solidaity with Smith and Carlos, and as a result, he also faced backlash back home in Australia.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I'm sure folks who post here are already familiar with the details, but I feel compelled to note that 50 years ago today, one of the most iconic photos of the 20th century was taken at the Summer Olympics in Mexico City when 200m gold medalist Tommie Smith and 200m bronze medalist John Carlos, raised their black-gloved fists while standing barefoot on the medal stand while the U.S. national anthem was being played to protest racial oppression in the U.S,, South Africa and Rhodesia. As a result of their protest, IOC President Avery Brundage immediately had Smith and Carlos removed from the U.S. Olympic team and kicked out of the Olympic Village. In 2005, after enduring years of backlash and repercussions at home, San Jose State University, their alma mater, dedicated a statue on campus to honor them. Overshadowed was the fact that Smith set a WR and became the first man in history to run sub-20. Another little known fact is that 200m silver medalist Peter Norman wore an Olympic Project for Human Rights badge in solidaity with Smith and Carlos, and as a result, he also faced backlash back home in Australia.
    As I noted In the 'What are you reading?' thread, this incident was the recurring motif in the book I just read, A Track in the Forest about the Echo Summit Trials. This was Kaepernick before Kaepernick was born.

3. Collapse Details

I can recommend "A Track in the Forest". A lot of fun to read.

4. Collapse Details

A 1968 track reading list should also include the recently published Wizard of FOZ...

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jc203 View Post
    A 1968 track reading list should also include the recently published Wizard of FOZ...
    I requested my local library buy both. That way they're free!

6. Collapse Details

Tommie Smith Black Power Salute interview on the BBC radio:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06p0yrj

7. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Someone has to provide a critical view of a head down fist raised salute during the national anthem... it might as well be user4!

https://www.nytimes.com/1976/03/28/a...eexamined.html

user4 is not a sociology professor recruiting young students to serve an ideology, but he did sleep at a holiday inn express last night!
    Last edited by user4; 11-14-2018 at 05:41 PM.

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    reads like a classic bit of academia-driven babble, which is to say, lots of words without actually saying anything (as I recall, Hoberman has a history of such).

9. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    ok, then Ill be more direct: I cant think of a single flag on the globe, other than perhaps the British Union Jack that has liberated more black people from poverty and worse than Old Glory, the US flag. To disrespect that flag shows a profound misunderstanding and distortion of history or worse. I dont blame Smith and Carlos, they were too young to know better.

http://thefederalist.com/2017/10/16/...ootball-games/
    Last edited by user4; 11-14-2018 at 11:07 PM.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    reads like a classic bit of academia-driven babble, which is to say, lots of words without actually saying anything (as I recall, Hoberman has a history of such).
    Hoberman is impossible to read. He is a horrific writer. May have good things to say but so obscured by his prose, if you can call it that, that its hard to find them.