Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Some of those places have significant altitude, which may be a good reason not to have XC championships there.

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    Pullman in '73 and '77, and Tucson in '86, '91 & '96
    plus Laramie in '67

3. Collapse Details

Laramie. Or, southern Wyoming....ugh!! Bleakest, windiest place in the country.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    Pullman in '73 and '77, and Tucson in '86, '91 & '96
    The "Pullman" meets were actually in Spokane at Hangman Valley golf course. I attended in '73. Pre ran down Nick Rose in the last mile.

5. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    It's surprising that it's never been held in Eugene.
    Good question.... never been much interest in ever having here...perhaps the local golf courses wouldn't be keen on it.... and no other obvious spot. Besides I think the locals have probably thought they have enough on their plate.

6. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Laramie. Or, southern Wyoming....ugh!! Bleakest, windiest place in the country.
    Having recently driven through both ...Southeast Oregon and the border area of Nevada makes southern Wyoming feel like LA.... head north from Winnemucca...

Last edited by Conor Dary; 10-19-2018 at 10:33 PM.

7. Collapse Details

I have pretty well criss-crossed this nation and found beauty everywhere... and lots of empty space. To avoid heavy traffic try 225 south from Owyhee, NV on the Idaho line. sign at edge of town sez Next Gas Elko 105 miles... or 6/60 from Delta, UT to Ely, NV... or the eastern 2/3 of northern MT.... and I once saw the Pinedale, WY school bus picking up kids at a rural bus shelter 70 miles from Pinedale.

8. Collapse Details

It's surprising that it's never been held in Eugene.
    Well is was supposed to be, sort of. I think Oregon was the official host of the meet that was going to be held in Portland a few years ago. However, they did not think it through very well; as I recall they were going to have it on a race track and that is a gambling establishment and that is a no-no for NCAA. It got moved to a site that could take it at relatively short notice - Terre Haute/Indiana State/Laverne-Gibson course. Others here must know more about the story than my slightly vague remembrance.

9. Collapse Details

I remember attending a big HS meet in the infield of a horse track in Portland years ago..they put bales of hay to hurdle at several points on the course... also had mats that identified runners and showed continuous place of teams throughout the race on big screen.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    I remember attending a big HS meet in the infield of a horse track in Portland years ago..they put bales of hay to hurdle at several points on the course... also had mats that identified runners and showed continuous place of teams throughout the race on big screen.
    That is the Nike Cross Nationals, a team race with some individuals also. However, since each of the high school teams are not of much interest to vary many people, it is a very uninteresting format to me. However, because Nike gives the attendees a lot of swag etc., a lot of teams want to go and it steals away from the true High School National Championship race, Footlocker. Since the high school authority is split all over, they do not have the same rule on locations, especially since the high school teams are often technically club teams, especially for some states.