Facts, Not Fiction

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Administrator
    thank goodness my powers of basic observation haven't totally left me.

2. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Well a 16+ m by a 181lber is exceedingly rare. The new WR holder has some really unique strengths.

3. Collapse Details

All 10 highlights of his WR can be found here (tweet like)

http://www.european-athletics.org/ne...x.html?cid=rss

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    1972, I believe.
    Actually per a tweet by Jon Mulkeen - 1976 - Harvey Glance equalled 100 WR (I know, not broken) and Mac Wilkins broke DT WR - this is for individual WR only

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LopenUupunut View Post
    9121 (but I believe that was because he ran out of table in the PV and they didn't use the formula to calculate what his score ought to have been, he would have scored 9206 if they'd done that).
    That's the officially quoted figure calculated by Bob Sparks years ago but I'm not sure that's correct. 1952 tables ended at 4.83 -1540 and Yang jumped 4.84 in his WR. The intervals at 4.81 and 4.82 are 25 and 30 points, so perhaps 35 points more for 4.84 = 9156, but its only speculation

6. Collapse Details

I believe I recall Dan O'Brien aiming for 9125 at one point. I always thought that was so he could score higher than CK did before the tables changed. Now, Mayer has gone beyond that!

7. Collapse Details

What might Eaton have done in better weather in Eugene?

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    That's the officially quoted figure calculated by Bob Sparks years ago but I'm not sure that's correct. 1952 tables ended at 4.83 -1540 and Yang jumped 4.84 in his WR. The intervals at 4.81 and 4.82 are 25 and 30 points, so perhaps 35 points more for 4.84 = 9156, but its only speculation
    I posted this in the women's decathlon thread earlier this year:

Quote Originally Posted by el toro
    The published 1950-52 Decathlon tables indeed had a maximimum point value of 1,515 for a 4.82m vault. Because the printed tables were the official scoring method, anything higher than that could not be scored because it simply didn't exist in the tables. When Yang vaulted 4.84m in his WR decathlon in 1963, he could only be given the maximum 1,515 points available.

Even if the IAAF wanted to extend the tables, 4.84m had no mathematically possible score due to the underlying points formula. This formula allowed for a maximum of 1,600 points at 4.826m. However, beyond that the formula tries to calculate the square root of a negative and the calculation fails. The renovation of the scoring methods in the 1962 tables removed this anomaly.

9. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    A WR in Talence is obviously fantastic and Mayer is a one in 100 million talent. But a WR in Talence is not a decathlon OG gold or a WC gold. Our super star Frenchman has more unfinished business.

10. Collapse Details

You do realize he has won a WC gold already (and an Olympic silver)? As long as he stays healthy, he should remain dominant for another few years.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...