Facts, Not Fiction

Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Does anyone know what Caster Semenya's split was?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    A very entertaining and action-packed meet. I found it quite enjoyable, despite some quibbles with a few rules, and I certainly enjoyed it more than our Scrooge McGrump contingent.

In an "off" year, it's a nice opportunity for athletes to pick up some cash and compete in front of a pretty large crowd.
    It seems some of these rules can hurt certin lower level athletes though, especially going into a championship cycle.
    If I am looking for a sponsor or to renegotiate my contract, it doesn't sound great to say:

"Yes I was a DNF, but before they kicked me out on the final lap, I was on pace for a new (xyz) record in the steeple"

or

"I know i finished 5th but my mark was actually only 1cm behind the winner".

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post
    I don't think so; Dacres was heard to say, "I thought I had another throw!".
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    i didn't play it back to confirm, but my take was taht he said, "I wish I had another throw"

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    i didn't play it back to confirm, but my take was taht he said, "I wish I had another throw"
    I also heard what Alan has mentioned.

5. Collapse Details

To Alan Shank---
    Hope you don't mind (or maybe you just don't care! LOL), but in my blog's report on the CC, I gave reference to your lengthy coverage of the meet as THE place to go for an explanation of all that made this meet the FIASCO it was---great marks notwithstanding!

6. Collapse Details

It was an excellent meet. The only event I did not like was the mixed relay. But I suppose IAAF has to try different things to attract fans to the sport

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mungo man View Post
    Does anyone know what Caster Semenya's split was?

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    Wow just watched the women's steeplechase.... that was a joke.
    I felt like I was watching one of those comedic game shows where no one knows whats going on, players and officials.
    Agreed, those distance races were a fiasco. It reminded me of a joke made by regular T&FN writer Bret Bloomquist: He suggested posting a sniper in the stands to pick off the last runner each lap. "That would stop that sit-and-kick stuff," he said.

I didn't find it entertaining at all. If I wanted to watch a fartlek workout, I'd attend the athletes' practices.
    "Run fast and keep turning left."

9. Collapse Details

Does anyone remember a broadcast of a 1 hour decathlon awhile back? Maybe from the Dan and Dave era? I think they all had to start the 1500m before one hour had elapsed but don't quote me. I enjoyed it and was impressed by the logistics involved (maybe Dan was high jumping while Dave was throwing the shot while Roman was long jumping, etc.) and by the multiple changes of footwear. I'm sure there was strategy involved.

I think it's possible to do non-standard track and field and for it not be considered "bastardization" or whatever. I did get hyped for MJ vs Donovan Bailey over 150m and would have bet the ranch on MF.

10. Collapse Details

W LJ European champion Malaika Mihambo led after the "heats" with 6.86, eliminating Shara Proctor, and TJ winner Caterine Ibarguen knocked off Christabel Nettey with 6.76. Brooke Stratton had no trouble with Xu Xiaoling, and Ese Brume was the African-team jumper who advanced. This is another interesting aspect of these ridiculous rules: in the first three attempts, the team members are basically competing against each other to see which makes the "semi-final"; it doesn't matter at all where they stand relative to the other teams' competitors. The positioning of the "bottom four" is significant, because those places are determined by the best of the three efforts and don't change after that. What a farce!!!

Cheers,
    Alan Shank