Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Move-in weekend

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    In the course of photographing every county/parish courthouse in the Lower 48, I have driven in every major city in the US. I rate Boston traffic/driving as the worst, including NYC and LA.
    I grew up around Boston and resemble that remark. Now living in New Hampshire all Massachusetts drivers are called Massholes. I bike ride a lot and whenever a car doesn't pull over to pass me, but drives right next to the bike lane, I know, even before looking, that it will have a Mass license plate.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Meanwhile....

City of Boston has some advice....

https://mobile.twitter.com/CityOfBos...97934694113280
    Apparently there's also some youtube video by a woman telling the students "We don't like you." and it has apparently gone somewhat viral.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    In the course of photographing every county/parish courthouse in the Lower 48, I have driven in every major city in the US. I rate Boston traffic/driving as the worst, including NYC and LA.
    I lived in the Boston area for a few years and have visited there regularly since then. I agree--Boston has the worst drivers in the US. Outside the US, I can think of several worse places, including Rome and Rio. Beijing is also pretty bad, but I think it's gotten a little better in recent years.

4. Collapse Details

I have never been to Rio but have driven in most of capitols of Europe (circa 1954-55) and don't remember them as that bad.. of course I was young, dumb, bulletproof and couldn't read the traffic signs anyway..

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I lived in the Boston area for a few years and have visited there regularly since then. I agree--Boston has the worst drivers in the US. Outside the US, I can think of several worse places, including Rome and Rio. Beijing is also pretty bad, but I think it's gotten a little better in recent years.
    Having grown up there and learned to drive there, I will say this - after Boston, you can drive anywhere. Chicago, New York, Washington DC, Los Angeles - they were all easy for me when I had to drive in those cities - after Boston.

6. Collapse Details

I remember about 3 years ago I was in LA with David Wallechinsky and he was driving (he lives near there) and complaining about the traffic in LA and how hard it is to drive there. I was thinking, "This isn't traffic. I'll show you traffic - come to Boston and try to drive there."

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    I grew up around Boston and resemble that remark. Now living in New Hampshire all Massachusetts drivers are called Massholes. I bike ride a lot and whenever a car doesn't pull over to pass me, but drives right next to the bike lane, I know, even before looking, that it will have a Mass license plate.
    Merely acknowledging the existence of anyone else on the road is a blatant display of unforgivable weakness.

8. Collapse Details

Back in the early 70s I picked up a girlfriend visiting me at Logan Airport. Out of the airport you go into a tunnel where about 7 lanes converge into 3 ticket lanes. So I'm cutting people off left and right to get to the ticket lane and she's getting mad at me, telling me to be nice, and let people in. I told her, "You don't understand. If I'm nice like that, we'll be here til next week."

9. Collapse Details

A friend and colleague whose formative driving experiences, and almost all of his experience as a driver, have occurred between northern New Jersey and Boston, explained it to me as follows: (1) never take your foot off the accelerator; (2) never show fear; (3) never look back.

I, on the other hand, learned to drive and presently live in flyover country, where being a nice driver is a priority, even if it risks other peoples' lives.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    come to Boston and try to drive there."
    My driving experience in Italy tells me ANYWHERE in America is easy. Apparently every Italian male over the age of 18 thinks he's either a Formula 1 driver, or a stunt driver in a Mission Impossible movie. Their cities' traffic lanes are merely art decorations on the street. Everyone drives wherever they want at whatever speed they want.

True story: I was driving just outside a suburb of Naples. It was a busy 2-lane road. I was going up a hill with a sharp right curve, so I was actually going near the speed limit (a rarity for Italians). I came up on a truck I couldn't see around, so I just settled in behind him. In my rear-view mirror I saw a Fiat coming up fast behind me, and I really thought I was about to get rear-ended when he swerved around me to pass me (and the truck) on the curve. Then . . . a Maserati (I think) came out of nowhere behind him, going at least 85mph, and passed the Fiat as it was passing the truck . . . so, to recap, he was 3-wide on a 2-lane road going around a blind turn to the right.

THAT, is traffic.